Hinged breakfast bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

I'm looking to build a breakfast bar that can fold up and be latched against the wall. It will have a leg that will fold down as the worktop is raised. Will not look particularly attractive however it will only be raised in situations where we need large amount of room in the kitchen.

I have a 1510mm length of worktop, it's 40mm thick. Looking to cut it down to 900mm total.

My concerns are hinges and securing to the wall. My plan is to have a wooden base screwed to a brick wall (We have a length of kickboard/plinth that matches the rest of the kitchen), and then have a 100mm length supported by right angle brackets. At the end of this, I'm think a piano hinge or two normal hinges.

The single leg will be fitted to a square piece of wood, and the wood will be hinged to the bottom of the breakfast bar, so it can drop down when the bar is raised.

Will I have an issue securing screws into the cut end of the worktop? I'm sure it's some type of MDF. Same for the plinth/kickboard.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Letting the leg drop into position and the foot not being fixed to the floor has the risk that if the leg is kicked it might allow the table to drop.

A support that swivels out to support the table is a bit more work to construct but long term less risk of collapse
upload_2019-7-26_16-52-54.png

When the table is not in use the bracket, ( which is hinged to the wall ) folds flat against the wall and is hidden by the lowered table

Sponsored Links
similar brackets are sold on fleabay and some hardware suppliers as "Microwave brackets"

Some fold upwards, which is a stronger design in terms of the screws pulling out of the wall, and means you don't need a locking bar underneath.

The folding-down type looks neater.

Be careful, they are usually sold in pairs but I made the mistake on buying one from a supplier who priced them individually.

Letting the leg drop into position and the foot not being fixed to the floor has the risk that if the leg is kicked it might allow the table to drop.

I suspect that even with those steel brackets, that the 'table' will be somewhat bendy at the end furthest from the wall. My caravan has a slide out cantilevered table, which didn't feel very substantial at the far end. I sorted that with a length of 25mm chrome steel tube, with a bit of 6mm steel rod fixed in one end. The other end was just open tube. 6mm rod locates in underside of table, open end drops onto a spigot screwed to the floor. For OP's problem, the same idea might work other way up - spigot on table, hole/socket in the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back