Hinges that allow DG windows to open like wooden windows / doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We'll be getting some new double glazing soon, in aluminium. One thing I've always disliked about double glazing is how the windows open and move toward the centre of the opening as they open more. I would much prefer it if they opened like a normal butt hinge opens a window (or door for that matter).

When it comes to friction hinges, I see that the egress / fire safety hinges allow for this.

But...:

- Are they only available for side hung windows? Is there anything out there that allows a top hung window to open 90 degrees to the frame like a butt hinge would?

- Do the egress hinges have less friction than standard hinges? Would the windows be more likely to swing about int he wind, etc.?

- Aside from egress / fire safety hinges, are there any other types of friction hinges that do what I'm after?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Why do you want windows that will smash in a breeze and be difficult to clean?

I didn't know if they would "smash in a breeze" or whether they offer any less friction than a standard friction hinge. That's why I posted to ask.

I always clean my windows from the outside. Makes less mess! But even if I wanted to clean them from inside, many of the egress option also have a "easi-clean" option which allows you to reach the external fac from inside at h touch of a button (or two).

Ta

Sponsored Links
I thought all windows had the easy clean position?.

Seems odd they'd go to the trouble of making two different setups.

Hi

We'll be getting some new double glazing soon, in aluminium. One thing I've always disliked about double glazing is how the windows open and move toward the centre of the opening as they open more. I would much prefer it if they opened like a normal butt hinge opens a window (or door for that matter).

When it comes to friction hinges, I see that the egress / fire safety hinges allow for this.

But...:

- Are they only available for side hung windows? Is there anything out there that allows a top hung window to open 90 degrees to the frame like a butt hinge would?

- Do the egress hinges have less friction than standard hinges? Would the windows be more likely to swing about int he wind, etc.?

- Aside from egress / fire safety hinges, are there any other types of friction hinges that do what I'm after?

Many thanks

I used to make timber windows and I found the best hinge to do what you are suggesting for side hung is the mega egress hinge, now sold under the Yale brand

as regards top hung, no you cant get a friction hinge to do that, It wouldnt work.

I used this hinge to make very large windows -up to 1800 high x 800 wide and they stayed in place perfectly well when opened up and didnt catch the wind. But that hinge has a high load capacity its different from standard egress hinges

I do know the Residence 9, flush fitting upvc window uses the mega egress hinge -or at least it did when the sales rep brought me in a sample to have a look at a few years back

QEGE8.jpg

Last edited:
Standard friction hinges allow for cleaning but with the advent on fire egress regs upstairs windows switched to egress hinges which allow for a wider clear opening to escape out of but a consequence of that you lose the cleaning ability, egress/easi clean hinges address that, I guess the reason standard friction hinges are still made is for those top hung sashes that push out from the bottom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back