Hip to gable calcuation for permitted development

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sorry to bother you all. I'm a university student studying Building Surveying and have a coursework brief to design a loft conversion for a 1920's. I have to do the designs for permitted development and building regulations.

Basically I'm hitting a problem when trying to convert my hipped roof to a gable wall. The issue is I am using a book called "Loft Conversions" by John Coutts, second edition and on page 7 it states the calcuation for a hip to gable extension is:

(Breadth x height x length)/4
(In effect (for clarity) wall length x height of new gable wall x the distance from the ridge board end to the gable wall tip)/4

However, my class mates and all other sites I see state it should be:

(Breadth x height x length)/4

Or in some other cases it's:

Triangular prism:
(Breadth x height)/2 x (edge of ridge to the eaves x 2)

Pyramid:
(Breadth x (edge of ridge to the eaves x 2)) x (1/3 x height)

(Prism x Pyramid)/2

Link to the last one for clarity: http://www.abbeylofts.net/knowledge-base/hip-to-gable-loft-conversions-all-you-need-to-know.htm

Basically, I want to know which is right, and why (if it is) my original one of (BxHxL)/2 is wrong, as mathmatically it makes complete sense to me.

I apologise for the wall of text and thank you for your kind attention,

James Newport

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back