Hip to Gable - end terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am trying to make sense of the PD rules related to hip to gable loft conversions.

My property is an end terraced house on the corner of two roads. See picture.

I am trying to determine if the following term applies to me;
  • No extension beyond the plane of the existing roof slope of the principal elevation that fronts the highway.
Based on the picture provided am I allowed to gable the side elevation and place a loft dormer on the back of the property under PD? Does the fact I am the end house on two highways restrict me?

If I am restricted what course (if any) can I take to secure permissions?

Thanks in advance

Steve

Attachments

• 8393294A-7624-4C47-AC35-0AF1769723D7.jpeg
    8393294A-7624-4C47-AC35-0AF1769723D7.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 317
Sponsored Links
The rule is that it is not p.d. if the roof enlargement extends beyond the plane of a roof which forms part of the principal elevation of the house and fronts a highway.
Even though your hip-to-gable would front a highway, it would not be on the principal elevation, so you could do a h-to-g, plus a flat-roof dormer on the back under p.d. (subject to the other restrictions of course).

Yes, seems like you can do almost anything you like with these hip to gable extensions under Permitted Development nowadays :!:
As a matter of interest what do you intend doing with the chimney stacks ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back