Hiring Electrician for Minor Works - What Qualifications?

I think he meant notifiable work in general John, not that all 3 categories of minor work would each more often need an EIC.
Sure, that's how I read it, too. However if a significant proportion of a third of the cases might well not require an EIC, I', not sure that I would day (in relation to all three taken together) that they were "more likely than not" to require an EIC.

As you say, EFLI, myself, you and many other people here understand and are in agreement, but I wasn't sure that the OP would necessarily fully understand what was being said!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My point was, in relation to this:

Assuming you live in England:
Minor work, unless carried out in a special location do not require a notification application to building controls.
The areas that generally require notification are new/change of consumer unit, new circuits and new electrical installation within the bathroom zones.
Some minor works do require notification.
Which is not quite correct.

I was pointing out that the type of certificate is irrelevant to notification (or not) and
notification (or not) is irrelevant to the type of certificate.
The type of certificate depends on the work and the details you wish to record and has nothing to do with whether it was notifiable (or not).

To avoid being picked up :whistle:, I also qualified it with: "with so few notifiable jobs now, more often than not notifiable work WILL come with an EIC"

Replacing CU will require EIC
New circuit will require EIC
Additions or alterations to circuits in zones could be either.

Two and a bit out of three is more often than not.

So, what I wrote above is correct, "more often than not notifiable work WILL come with an EIC",

BUT this is not because the work was notifiable.

I was pointing out that the type of certificate is irrelevant to notification (or not) and notification (or not) is irrelevant to the type of certificate.
Indeed, and I think we are all agreed about that.
.... Two and a bit out of three is more often than not.
Fair enough.

I suppose I should have realised that you were using the phrase "more often than not" literally (i.e. to mean 'on more than 50% of occasions), rather than the more everyday ('incorrect') use of the phrase to mean something like 'nearly always'.

Kind Regards, John

I won't get into that one.

I know you have an exceptional ability to know what people really actually mean when they write mistakes and rubbish.

However ... :)

Sponsored Links
Which is not quite correct.
I don't think there was anything incorrect in what I posted???
My point was that minor works can be deemed notifiable.
In fact if you wished you could notify all the work you did, if you really wanted to.
I understand that if you really wanted to waste time with all the paperwork, you could issue an EIC for minors works.
But that does not mean what I stated, was not correct in anyway, does it?

But that does not mean what I stated, was not correct in anyway, does it?
Mmmm - Just a little bit more confusing, I thought.

Assuming you live in England:
Minor work, unless carried out in a special location do not require a notification application to building controls.
Whilst that is true now because of the relaxation of the rules, it is not because it's Minor Work.
An EIC could be issued for non-notifiable work - if necessary.

The areas that generally require notification are new/change of consumer unit,
The word is 'replacement' - however you define that.

new circuits and new electrical installation within the bathroom zones.
It's Additions and Alterations to circuits in the zones.
Some Minor Work in the zones may not be notifiable.
I know you didn't mean it but it could be read as new circuits were only notifiable if in the bathroom zones.

Some minor works do require notification.
Exactly.

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back