Historic subsidence wall drop 'fix'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was wondering what you do to 'fix' this?

Essentially it is / was the back wall on a Victorian house and there has been historic subsidence. The wall is a 'stand alone' wall and would have been the back of the house, but at due to the subsistence has at some point dropped. The movement at its worse is about an inch (the vertical 'white strip' in the picture is actually the light shineing through the gap)
The other side of the wall is now the kitchen extension.

I'm not looking to do anything major like unpinning as in a couple of years the wall is coming out and I am creating a combined kitchen / diner. Just really looking to do a 'fix' before I replaster.
Would you add metal straps?

Something like this?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/sabrefix-frame-ties-10-pack/34701

For reference, I had hacked the plaster off as I was going to inject DPC on the other walls. There was nothing really untoward with the wall before I hacked off the plaster.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Wall 1.jpg Wall 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why bother if its coming out?

Is is still moving? A strap/straps would need to be hefty along with large fixings if the movement is active, and with no guarantee of it working.

Why bother if its coming out?

Is is still moving? A strap/straps would need to be hefty along with large fixings if the movement is active, and with no guarantee of it working.

That's a fair point. It just seemed that as I have it back to bare brick that I should do something like strap it.

I had the house surveyed 20 years ago and the surveyor at the time seemed very unconcerned about it, saying something about poor design and historical movement. Definitely no recent movement, to the point that there hasn't been any crack in the plaster skim that was done several years ago.

What do you suggest that I do; fill in the gaps with mortar or expanding foam before it is re-rendered?

Sponsored Links
Yes I'd just fill it with whatever - even the render or plaster you will be covering it with. Expect a slight hairline crack afterwards, but even if it progresses you could caulk it for the remaining few months the wall is to remain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back