Hive 2 wiring help as HW CH OFF wiring missing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will somebody be kind enough to comment on this?

1- Current setup Siemens RWB9 (looking at the wiring, it is wired to fully pumped HW & CH).
2- Danfoss Randall RMT24 Thermostat
3- ildeal classic boilder

My HW and CH can be controlled independently so I am under the impression that I have Y type valve connection (if I am not wrong and please correct me if I am wrong).

I am thinking of installing Hive active heating 2, however my current wiring (going to RWB2) has no wiring for HW and CH OFF. So I have
1- Live
2- Neutral
3- CH On
4- HW On

wirings. And my question is, when I install Hive 2 and there are no off wirings, will that be an issue?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
It's impossible to be certain whether you have a Y-plan or an S-plan without seeing some pictures, although if you have no HW OFF wire then it's more likely you have an S-Plan. Connect up as it is now and it should all work perfectly

It's impossible to be certain whether you have a Y-plan or an S-plan without seeing some pictures, although if you have no HW OFF wire then it's more likely you have an S-Plan. Connect up as it is now and it should all work perfectly

Many thanks Andrew. Honestly not sure re: S-plan or Y-plan. I havn't bought hive 2 yet and tempted with the black Friday deal. Shall I pull the trigger and buy it, if you say that it will work?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Just wondering do you need photos of boiler or control box to determine whether it is S or Y plan? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Valves in airing cupboard, how many are there?
One with three pipes attached to it or two with two pipes attached?

Buy a hive and do what everyone is doing this week, post it up here and await instructions!

Valves in airing cupboard, how many are there?
One with three pipes attached to it or two with two pipes attached?

Buy a hive and do what everyone is doing this week, post it up here and await instructions!

Excuse the mess. Is it round one or the circular one? :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_6845.JPG
    IMG_6845.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 801
Thanks guys.
So if I have S-plan, then I do not have to worry off HW/ CH off wiring. Hive 2 should work then?

I have read the review on Amazon and some people are complaining that it does not work well with the app.

Can I kindly ask;
1- Will Hive 2 work with my current setup?
2- If there any other alternate to Hive 2 which allows control of CH and HW unlike Nest which cannot control both?

Many thanks.

Hive will work with your current setup, S plan is currently one of the most common system types.
Nest Gen3 has hot water and heating control.
Depending on how advanced you want the control also look at Honeywell.

Thanks guys.
Sorry for a noob question but how does the system recognise the temperature for hot water?

I know that with the thermo we can control the temperature for CH but what about hot water? Is that by default set to certain temperature? Or we can control that. If we can control it then which part of heating system measure / check the temperature of hot water?

Many thanks,

Not sure if Nest have plans for a wireless linked cylinder thermostat in the future but at the moment the hot water control is really only a time switch. The existing cylinder stat remains in use and you can't monitor or set the water temperature from the Nest controller.

To get that level of detailed system control you would have to install something more advanced than nest, like honeywell evohome.

So, most of the current heating systems in UK warm the water but we do not know the exact temperature of the hot water. I am sure that there will be safety measure but it appears that controlling factors for hot water is the 'time' and not temperature. So current systems are warming the water on the basis of the time we set.

But then if we are not using hot water, then is it wise to keep the boiler running for hot water? I should look into this as I guess I can save some wonga there.

So, most of the current heating systems in UK warm the water but we do not know the exact temperature of the hot water. I am sure that there will be safety measure but it appears that controlling factors for hot water is the 'time' and not temperature. So current systems are warming the water on the basis of the time we set.

But then if we are not using hot water, then is it wise to keep the boiler running for hot water? I should look into this as I guess I can save some wonga there.
There should be a wired thermostat on the hot water tank. This controls the temperature.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back