Hive 2 Wiring Help - Complete Noob

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So I'm waiting on my plumber to do the boiler and zones etc... we bought the hive in the christmas sale online... now im impatient to at least get some use out of it as it could be another few weeks before he can do the job.

Our old boiler is obv still working etc... and is controlled by an old mechanical timer wiring which there is a pic of below...

Now im an electrical noob but not COMPLETELY inept.. anyway I was going to put the receiver in myself for the moment so I could get some limited benefit from our hive..

Behind the mechanical timer is 4 wires:

4j6gjWT.jpg

The Hive Receiver calls for 5 wires (not including earth)

full

So using the numbers i put on my own photo:

1 - Live from mains
2 - Live to Boiler
3 - Common Link?
4 - Neutral (easiest :p)

Pairing them up to the Letters on the Hive wiring:

N: Permanent Neutral = 4
L: Permanent Live =1
1: Common = 2 or 3?
2: Heating off (NC): 2 or 3?
3: Heating on (NO) = No clue?

I have 4 wires and am looking to wire 5? Anyone help? I know I probably shouldnt do it myself but with mains off etc... as long as I know I wont fry anything... blah.

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
At a quick guess, you should be good with this (assuming you've identified the correct cables on your connection block):

Your 1 (Perm Live) to Nest L (and Nest 1)
Your 2 (Call for heat) to Nest 3 (NO)
Your 4 (Neutral) to Nest N
Nest L to Nest 1

You should dig out that earth and connect it to the earth tether

At a quick guess, you should be good with this (assuming you've identified the correct cables on your connection block):

Your 1 (Perm Live) to Nest L (and Nest 1)
Your 2 (Call for heat) to Nest 3 (NO)
Your 4 (Neutral) to Nest N
Nest L to Nest 1

You should dig out that earth and connect it to the earth tether

This worked... thank you very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back