Hive active heating wiring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm really stuck with the wiring of my Hive active heating 2 I have bought and would really appreciate some advice from you knowledgable people.

I currently have a danfloss reviewer wired up to my combo boiler. There is a live, natural, Earth, and then 4 other wires coming into the reciever. From looking at the danfloss wiring diagram these are going into CH on and HW on. The other 2 go into the remote sensor plugs.

I have tried only wiring the live, neutral, Earth and CH On (into port 3) but this does not work.

I have attached a picture of the current Danfloss wiring

Can anyone tell me how I should be wiring this please - would really appreciate the help

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,041
Sponsored Links
Also attached is the Hive wiring diagram

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,492
Attached is also the wiring diagram to the danfloss

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 492
OK, first of all you say you have a "Combo" (Do you mean Combi?) boiler. But, your existing Danfoss clearly shows a wire labelled 'HW on' so that suggests that your hot water comes from a hot water cylinder and not a Combi.

Then you show the wiring diagram for a Hive as a 'Single Channel' version, this is right for a Combi, but if you do have stored hot water, then you will need the 'Dual Channel' version and the wiring is different.

If you can clarify the above then we will be able to offer further assistance.

I recommend that you stop inserting wires into terminals in an ad-hoc fashion before you cause irreversible damage to something.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

sorry for the typo's. Yes I mean a combi and receiver for the other typo.

I have a megoflow connected to my combi and so Stem that would explain your response.

So can I just buy a separate dual channel receiver (seen them on line) without having to buy the whole kit again? will it still work with the thermostat and hub that I got with the single receiver?

Thanks in advance

Is it BG enabled? The HUB ID is unique to the setup. Where did you buy it from? If you want to use the remote functions it may not work, it will be stand alone only.

Hi

The boiler is a vailant boiler with a megaflow connected to it

What does BG enabled mean? I have not fitted it yet so it's still in the packet. I bought it some time ago but never fitted and so I can't return now

I do want to use remote functions on it

What model you keep saying it's a combi.

But clearly your wiring would indicate hw on connections.

I don't want to seem pedantic but people often think they have a "combi" when then they have a condensing boiler.

OK, so just to be clear.

1. You have a combi, that is also connected to a Megaflo. Sorry to be pushing this again, but it is unusual, although not unknown. Does the combi provide hot water to the tap in the kitchen for example and the Megaflo the bathroom(s)? If you could give the model of Valiant that you have then everyone will be happy. The doubt is because it is an unusual set up.

2. You have shown the single channel model in your photo, but for hot water and central heating control you definitely need the dual channel. I believe that the hub and thermostat will be compatible for both, but suggest you check with the manufacturer to be on the safe side.

Yes you can get a dual channel receiver. The thermostat is the same unit whether it's dual or single channel. The hub is the same for all hive products.
As for your wiring. You will need to disconnect the remote wiring and wire the CH on straight to the valve white wire.

Despite all of the questioning. Actually, in this instance, with regard to your wiring question, it doesn't matter if you have a combi or not. The important thing is that you do have stored hot water and so require the dual channel unit. The wiring on the dual channel Hive corresponds with the wiring you have now.

Danfoss 'N' = Hive 'N'
Danfoss 'L' = 'Hive L'
Danfoss Terminal 3 'DHW on' = 'Hive Terminal 3 'Hot Water on (NO)'
Danfoss Terminal 4 'HTG on' = 'Hive Terminal 4 'Heating on (NO)'

The Hive doesn't need an earth, but there is a 'tether' for it, to keep it safely out of the way.

If the remote sensor wires (5 & 6) go to your existing room thermostat, then the 'Heating on' wire at the Danfoss will already be connected to the motorised valve, because the thermostat switching is presently done inside the Danfoss. If so, the sensor wires should be disconnected and removed.

wire the CH on straight to the valve white wire.

I think that possibly the reference to the white wire of the motorised valve is incorrect though. The white wire is associated with a 3 Port motorised valve. But the information posted by IAN999, shows the existing programmer doesn't have a 'Hot Water Off' connection to terminal 1 of the programmer, which a 3 Port motorised valve would need (unless it is generated by some other method). Therefore, I believe that the system will have two, 2 Port motorised valves instead, so the brown wire of the heating motorised valve would be used. They don't have a white one.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back