Hive - Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I'm new to this forum. So, please excuse me if this post is already discussed / not relevant.

We have a gas central heating with boiler in the kitchen and a water tank in a cupboard upstairs. Heating and hot water control with a controller and a normal Honeywell Thermostat. I've replaced the controller with Hive dual receiver paired with Hive wireless Thermostat and Hub. I've connected the wires like to like as in old controller (Picture attached). System is up and i can turn on hot water and heating from the app. However, boiler is not firing up either for hot water and/or heating. Status lights on the receiver are all showing solid GREEN but boiler dont start.

I've removed the wires from the old thermostat and left them with insulation tape wrapped and pushed into the wall. I'm not able to identify where the problem is. Please can some one guide me.

Attachments

• 2022-09-24 (1).png
    2022-09-24 (1).png
    334.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 2022-09-24.png
    2022-09-24.png
    360.7 KB · Views: 126
Sponsored Links
If you just disconnected the old thermostat wires and didn’t join them, that will be why the heating doesn’t work. Did you make any other alterations?

Hi CBW, thanks for the reply. No other alterations were made. I've reverted back to old controller and old thermostat as to the need of some heating and hot water. With the old equipment, all working fine.

Which wires i need to join after removing the old thermostat/ Please advise.

Thanks & Regards
Adi

Hi Adi,

it would be the live and switched wires in the old thermostat that get joined, but your hot water should have worked, so likely a wiring fault. Show a photo of wiring once complete.

Sponsored Links
Hi CBW

Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in replying. I'll be replacing the current controller and Thermostat again tomorrow. So as to know, you said it's the live and switches wires to join together. which are the first two cables (Grey and Black) or the first and the last (Grey and Brown). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Additionally, you mentioned that hot water should've worked but it did not. The boiler is firing up at all. As I mentioned in my first post, the wiring for the Hive receiver is exactly like to like as in the old controller. Please see the attached wiring diagram from the old controller plate.

Please advise.

Regards
Adi

Attachments

• IMG_2261.JPG
    IMG_2261.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 98
For the thermostat the wires need to be joined, 1 and 3, can’t make it out in the photo.

Hi CBW

Hope all is good. Back to continue the project. I've left it in the middle due to other priorities.

Please see the attached pictures.
1. Myson Room Thermostat (MRT1) Circuit diagram
2. Wiring picture (pin4 - Grey wire from the wall; pin3 - Black wire from the wall and black wire from inside Thermostat; Pin1 - Brown wire from the wall)

As you mentioned earlier, wires 1 and 3 should be joined together. Which means the Brown and Black wires joined and taped. Please confirm.

Many thanks.
Adi

Attachments

• IMG_3636.JPG
    IMG_3636.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 92
  • MysonMRT1_Circuit.jpg
    MysonMRT1_Circuit.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 87
Yes you can join using a terminal strip connector block, a Wago, or set the thermostat on maximum and let the Hive take over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back