Hive installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to the forum so please be gentle. I'm normally pretty good at things like this however this has me stumped.

I have bought a hive smart heating system but I'm struggling to work out the wiring. I've googled for hours but haven't found an answer to what I'm looking for.

My current Honeywell thermostat has 4 wires going to it... Earth, brown, grey and black. I wired it up to the hive receiver as I thought it should go however nothing worked. From searching about I think I need a netural for the hive to power up.

Can anyone please point me in the right direction as to what I need to do?

I have attached a picture of the current Honeywell thermostat. The hive unit I am hoping to install is a SLR1

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20170122_075824.jpg
    20170122_075824.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 437
Sponsored Links
Hi Jacko84

You haven't given much information about your system, so I am assuming the following:

1. You only are using the Hive to control central heating
2. You have a combi boiler so you don't need to control on /off times for stored hot water
3. The above is based on you having purchased a Single Channel version of the Hive (SRL1) which will be suitable for 1 & 2 above.

If the above assumptions are correct, yours is a common installation, so I am surprised you haven't been able to find any information.

The existing Honeywell thermostat wiring diagram will be shown inside it, and will be:

Terminal 1 = Live (Brown)
Terminal 2 = Neutral (Black)
Terminal 3 = Heating on (Grey)
Earth = Earth

All you need to do is transfer the wires to the Hive terminals that do exactly the same thing.

N = Neutral (Black)
L = Live (Brown)
3 = Heating on (Grey)
Earth = Earth

Then you need to add an additional wire link between the Common 'Terminal 1' and the 'Permanent Live'. This is because the Hive has potential free switching contacts, whereas the Honeywell contact already has an internal link to the live built in.

If there is something elsewhere controlling the timing of the heating, such as a timeswitch on the boiler, this will need to be set to permanently 'on' as the Hive also takes care of this function.

EDIT. The OP has also posted the same question in Electrics UK.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back