1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Hive multi-zone to ideal combi logic 35 boiler

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Nelson5583, 20 Nov 2019.

1. Nelson5583

Nelson5583

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

i have purchase a hive active heating single channel kit with an additional multizone set.

i have a house with has 2 zones, one downstairs and one up stairs.

i have located the main switch box for the boiler and wondering which would be the best method to install.

i was thinking that I would install the receivers next to this box for each zone, then disconnect the wires for the current thermostats? Would this work?

I have also seen that i can install the receivers in place of the old thermostats provider i bridge the connection.

any advice would be welcome.

thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Sponsored Links
  3. stem

stem

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    For DIY it's electrically easiest to reroute each of the existing thermostat wires to a Hive receiver. In this case then there's no bridging required as the Hive will simply be taking over the function of the existing thermostat that it replaces.

If there is a 230V L & N supply already at the existing thermostat (sometimes there is, sometimes there isn't. You would have to check) then that can be used to power the receiver. Otherwise a new L & N will be required for each receiver which should come via the same 3A fused spur that supplies the rest of the heating system.

4. Neilgriff63

Neilgriff63

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had a post on here trying to determine the best smart thermostat for an Ideal Logic with two heating zones and a hot water tank. Tado informed me it wouldn’t work for 2 zones which left Nest and Hive. I was about to pull the trigger on Nest. This morning I noticed a deal on Hive website for 2 zones plus installation got £261 and a free amazon dot. Seems a great deal.

As competent DIY’r I would normally do this myself. Just wondering if this complete installation is a steal or is worth doing the install myself and save another £60? I would like to use the existing power to thermostats to power the new ones and not use battery power. I think this is possible but I can’t see any literature to support or the Hive install sheet previously posted by Stem.

Any opinions out there?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links