Hive 2 multi zone installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help

I am planning to install a Hive 2 multizone and replace hortsmann h37xl, I have traditional oil fired boiler warmflow, hot water cylinder and 2 heating zones. have got the active heating hive pack and going to get the multizone. Will I have to wire two receivers for the hive ? and how ?
upload_2017-11-29_18-33-13.png

Sponsored Links
Step 1 - Install the Receivers

The H37XL connections can be identified from the drawing below. I can't see your photo 100% clearly, but it looks to me as if there the following connections are present.
  • N,L & E
  • Brown wire to terminal (1) 'Zone 1 heating on'
  • Black wire to terminal (3) 'Zone 2 heating on'
  • Grey wire to terminal (5) 'Hot Water on'
H37XL.JPG

Normally 'Zone 1' and the 'hot water' are connected to a dual channel Hive receiver. From the diagram above you can identify what the wires in each terminal do now, and then it's a matter of moving them to the corresponding terminal that has the same function at the Hive, as per the diagram below. [Do not connect the wire for 'Zone 2' to the dual channel Hive receiver.]
Hive Dual.JPG

The wire that is connected to the H37XL 'Zone 2' terminal (3) connect to the 'heating on ' terminal of a single channel version of the Hive as per the diagram below
Hive Single.JPG
You will also have to run an N & L to the single channel receiver, and insert a link between terminals L and 1 (Com)

Step 2 - Decommission the existing thermostats

The procedure below relates to one thermostat only. You will have to repeat this process for the second zone thermostat also.

Because the Hive carries out the functions of the room thermostat, the old wired thermostat needs to be decommissioned to prevent it overriding the Hive. It can't simply be disconnected as this would leave the heating wiring 'open circuit' and it will not operate. The thermostat can be decommissioned in three ways, in order of preference (or professionalism) they are.

1. Find the origin of the thermostat cable and disconnect it. Then link the terminals where the two switching wires were connected to together

2. Remove the existing thermostat and replace it with a junction box, connect the two switching wires together and isolate the neutral (if there is one)

3. Leave the existing room thermostat in place and set it to the highest setting. (Or put both of the switching wires in 'L' terminal)

This has really helped - I understand what I need to do with the dual channel hive. With the single, do I run the L N from the fused mains and what is inserting a link between l and 1 ? thanks

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-30_12-10-50.png
    upload_2017-11-30_12-10-50.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 406
Sponsored Links
The N & L for the second Hive receiver should come from the same 3A mains supply as the rest of the heating system. To do this, you can either connect the L and N terminals of the two receivers together, or pick it up from the fused connection unit, whichever is easier for you.

The single channel Hive has voltage free contacts, so in addition to the other connections, you will need to insert a wire between the 'L' Live terminal and terminal '1' common, so that they are electrically connected.

Like this
Capture.JPG

So loop a wire from L to terminal 1 on single channel. I will run from the same 3 a mains as its next to where the hive receivers are going to be located and there is trunking from the 3a to the where the current programmer is located. But if that is not possible do I loop again from the dual hive to single hive.

thanks

So loop a wire from L to terminal 1 on single channel.
Yes, only at the single channel receiver.

I will run from the same 3 a mains as its next to where the hive receivers are going to be located and there is trunking from the 3a to the where the current programmer is located. But if that is not possible do I loop again from the dual hive to single hive.

They just need to be connected at some point. If you can't physically get three wires in the same terminals at the first Hive, you could split them like this.

wiring Model (1).jpg

You will probably have to extend the wires to get them to reach the second Hive, but if there is a pattress behind the H37XL you could put some new terminals in there.

Hi Stem,

I'm after some help. I attempted to install hive today following the above instructions to a tee. I have a Worcester Bosch 12i system with hot water tank upstairs and dual zone heating. I installed the dual channel receiver and single channel receiver next to each other linking the N L from the dual to the single as its power source. When I turn the power back on I have no power on the dual receiver. The N cable is dead when I put my tester on it. Any ideas ?

There shouldn't be any voltage on the neutral, it should be 0V, and the live should be 230V.

When you say tester, if you mean a neon screwdriver I'm not surprised, they are next to useless. A multimeter is the only way to get a sensible result.

Having said that, if the two back plate N and L's are connected together, then if one has 230V they both should, unless one of the terminals in either of the back plates is not making contact with the wires properly. Try removing them and remaking the connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back