Hive or Tado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a SMART thermostat, not wanting it to grow into zone management system, just something me and the wife can control the CH and HW from the App. Was set for the Nest but a few people on FB page saying CH coming on when not there etc etc, not really wanting something that learns my habits, leaning towards the TADO at the moment, any +/- for either system ?

Sponsored Links
not really wanting something that learns my habits,
That is the main feature of a smart thermostat - it's what makes it 'smart'.

Otherwise it's just a pointless remote control for people who inexplicably want to tamper with their hot water and heating when they are not at home.

My need is to simply manage the heating, have a warm house when u get home. We have systems at work called smart completions, trouble is when they go wrong they become dumb completions. Thats why i stated, people mentioning on the Nest Fb page that there smart system seems to be doing what it likes.

I have a Nest.

You can just turn off the learning bits if you like. These idiots probably haven't got their config right.

For example I have 'true radiant' off and 'auto schedule' off. In other words, I choose and program my own schedule and it doesnt turn itself on early to get up to temp.

Its this 'true radiant' thats a problem for people as if you want your stat to be set to 20 degrees at 7am, it turns your heating on waaay early so its already at 20 at 7am. Its like a preheat thing. Just turn it off.

Sponsored Links
My need is to simply manage the heating, have a warm house when u get home. We have systems at work called smart completions, trouble is when they go wrong they become dumb completions. Thats why i stated, people mentioning on the Nest Fb page that there smart system seems to be doing what it likes.
I've installed about 60 Nests and can confirm that they most certainly don't do what they like - they work in the way they're set up to work, and those people who complain that it's misbehaving are invariably the ones who haven't bothered to understand how it works or set it up to their individual needs. It's configurable so you can adjust or disable functions as you wish. You wouldn't buy a new radio, discover the preset stations aren't the ones that you want to listen to, then complain the radio is no good...you'd change the presets to suit you. Same with Nest

Thanks for those replies, good to hear that the Nest can be as smart / simple as you want it to be. One question about the Nest, if you go to turn on/off the heating while being out of the house and there is still someone in the house with a Nest app on their phone, does the app inform you that someone is still at home. I know the Tado does this and i quite like that function via geolocation.

I have tado and will be binning it as soon as my years contract is up. I have had numerous problems with the connection and frequently come home to a cold house. Then as soon as I open the app it finds my phone and turns the heating on. Customer support is pretty good and we have followed all there instructions but still no real joy.

Thanks for those replies, good to hear that the Nest can be as smart / simple as you want it to be. One question about the Nest, if you go to turn on/off the heating while being out of the house and there is still someone in the house with a Nest app on their phone, does the app inform you that someone is still at home. I know the Tado does this and i quite like that function via geolocation.

I dont know if it informs you (might do) but it can use geo location on your phone(s) as well as its own in-built motion sensors on any Nest product to detect you're at home or away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back