Hive wiring - turns on no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I hope someone can help.

I am trying to change my system to hive, I've replaced the original programmer (coronet 425) however I am getting no heating.

I've attached a pic of the hive programmer wiring and the original programmer wiring

Attachments

• 20240101_191229.jpg
    20240101_191229.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20231230_222915.jpg
    20231230_222915.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 20231230_222909.jpg
    20231230_222909.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Excisting thermostat gets removed for hive, I turn the hive all the way up and you can hear it click, but the boiler doesn't kick in for heat

Excisting thermostat gets removed for hive, I turn the hive all the way up and you can hear it click, but the boiler doesn't kick in for heat
So you didn’t join the wires? You now have an open circuit. Join the wires, see if it then fires up.

Sponsored Links
Which wires do you mean?

So on the old programmer it was:
Blue - Neutral
Brown - Live
Grey - On
Black - C

So i wired it on hive as:
Blue -- natural
Brown- Live
Black - 1 (common)
Grey - 3 (heating on)

Which wires do you mean?

So on the old programmer it was:
Blue - Neutral
Brown - Live
Grey - On
Black - C

So i wired it on hive as:
Blue -- natural
Brown- Live
Black - 1 (common)
Grey - 3 (heating on)
You have rewired the coronet 425 programmer, to the Hive absolutely correctly - assuming you have a single channel Hive!

What we are asking - did you have a separate thermostat to control temperature, and if so, what have you done with it?

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ahhh!
I see from your other posts, you do have a separate thermostat...

1704147614068.png

Have you turned this up to maximum, or connected together the wires in terminals 1 & 3?

No I removed it and isolated with terminal blocks (only temp to see if it all worked before anything permanent) I was under thr assumption that the hive replaced this thermostat thus making it redundant and would would need the wires to be capped off

No I removed it and isolated with terminal blocks (only temp to see if it all worked before anything permanent) I was under thr assumption that the hive replaced this thermostat thus making it redundant and would would need the wires to be capped off
Which is what I said earlier about joining the wires. Although thermostat is redundant, the wiring make part of the circuit

The programmer and thermostat simply act as two switches, one after the other.
If both switches are on, the boiler will fire.

Your new Hive has the function of both the programmer and thermostat, but it only replaces one of the switches.

By isolating the thermostat, you have left the second switch turned off.
Without connecting the wires together, the boiler can't fire.

You could connect together the brown and black wires from terminals 1 and 3 of the old stat, or you can attempt to trace the cable back to where it joins the programmer - maybe behind the FCU?

The grey wire is a neutral and should be isolated separately.

Okay thank you all for the help, I will try it tomorrow. I removed the hive and replaced with old stat and programmer so I could have heating for tonight. Will feel stupid if it was something simple as connecting two wires.

Will update you tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back