Hob and oven change over

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there so at the moment i have the following

Electric oven - with red switch on the wall

Gas hob

I want to get a new oven and a new hob.
Simples right? But i want an electric hob.

The oven im looking at is "13amp" and says no electric engineer is needed. So i belive im right in assuming that its a plug.

I spose i COULD use the wire and the big red switch thats set up at the moment. But my plan was to use that for the electric hob. Been as thats high kw and whatnot (5-6kw)

Is this a feesable plan? Yes, id prob get an engineer into to it. But im hoping its straightforward and no new cables n switches need to be run, therefore save dogh.

The set up then, would be the new 13amp elec oven plugged into a socket.
Electric hob. Wired hard into that big red switchy thing.

I relaise id need the gas pipe capped off but thats no problem, ive got an old "gassafe" reg. friend.

Sponsored Links
The switch. The plug goes to a air fryer

Attachments

• 14719560810161581046668.jpg
    14719560810161581046668.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 91
Yeah the red switch and it says under it cooker. Thats power for the oven.

Sponsored Links
No. The plug and switch is for an airfryer but used also for toaster ect. The red flip switch is what powers the oven. :)

Is this a feesable plan? Yes, id prob get an engineer into to it. But im hoping its straightforward and no new cables n switches need to be run, therefore save dogh.
It's quite probable that the existing cooker supply (to the box with that 'big red switch') would be adequate to supply both your new oven and hob, but you really will need an electrician to confirm that.

Kind Regards, John

That would be a combined kw of like 7-8 or so i think... Is that alot? 5-6 for hob 1-2 for oven. (Am i correct?)

That would be a combined kw of like 7-8 or so i think... Is that alot? 5-6 for hob 1-2 for oven. (Am i correct?)
That sounds about right. If it's a 'standard' cooker circuit, it could probably cope with up to about 15 kW total - so that would be no problem.

Kind Regards, John

^ subject to getting a dude to inspect it. Brill. Theres a "nicelc dude" about 4 houses down from me so i might get him to have a butchers. Thanks guys!

^ subject to getting a dude to inspect it. Brill. Theres a "nicelc dude" about 4 houses down from me so i might get him to have a butchers. Thanks guys!
You're welcome. I hope it all proves to be fairly straightforward. If the supply is (as I suspect) adequate, connecting the new oven and hob will not be a very big job.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back