Hob Connection Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new hob turned up and it had a connection plate on it that i have not seen before.

It had 5 terminals plus an earth.

The supplied wiring diagrams as below;

1670328627323.png

I assume the 3rd option would be the one i use?

Are they just links between 1-2-3 with the live being connected to 2 and then 4-5 linked with neutral connected to 5.

What is the idea behind this and why would it not just be a normal L-N-E connection?

Sponsored Links
It is designed do it can be used of a 3 phase supply (option 1), bi phase supply (option 2), or single phase supply (option 3) which is what you have. The links may or may not be supplied in the packaging.

Sponsored Links
I will double check again but i couldn't see them earlier. If that is the case do i just strip some cable of the same size as the supply crimp a ferrel to each end and insert to bridge the connectors or are there special links to be used?

I will double check again but i couldn't see them earlier. If that is the case do i just strip some cable of the same size as the supply crimp a ferrel to each end and insert to bridge the connectors or are there special links to be used?
Cable will do, links are favourite when space is limited in the terminal box (which it usually is).
And yes to yr 2nd post, that kind of thing.

Spoke to Miele. They said they should have been in the box and are sending out replacements.

@padstar
Check again, as @flameport has posted, and in my experience, the links are tucked away in a groove in the terminal box.
Never seen them inside the packing itself because they get thrown away.
But maybe @winston1 knows what he’s talking about.

No links found.

I was having a look at it again tonight and can't see how those copper links would fit in. Surely they wouldn't expect "home made" links.

Photos below
20221212_193634.jpg
20221212_194528.jpg

A separate question is what is this box arround the supplied power cable. It looks like it's a magnet that surrounds the live and neutral.
20221212_193840.jpg
20221212_193800.jpg

Please reterminate that line conductor. It looks as if it's barely under the screw, let alone under the clamp. It should be under the square metal bit which is released by the screw. Like you N conductor is.

Please reterminate that line conductor. It looks as if it's barely under the screw, let alone under the clamp. It should be under the square metal bit which is released by the screw. Like you N conductor is.
I agree it's not correct as it is but I rather suspect the square metal bit doesn't, or isn't intended to, move.
Looking at the design and the plastic moulding my expectation would be a a wire without a ferrule to be bent round to almost form a loop and clamped directly under the screw. the 'bent up' sides being there to prevent the wire slipping out sideways.

I imagine the screw has been energetically tightened to get the ferrule into that position.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back