Siemens Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi can anyone give me any advice on how to connect a Siemens Hob, please?

There are 5 terminals (plus earth). 2 of the terminals are marked Neutral and are linked together and the other terminals are for the live conductor.

There are some spare copper links and 3 diagrams showing the various ways of wiring the hob, i.e 1, 2 and 3 can be connect together with the links, or 1 and 2 or 2 and 3 The problem is which combination should I use?! The instructions are pretty useless so I’m baffled. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I’ve not come across this type of connection personally so I don’t speak from experience. However, I seem to remember reading somewhere that the connections are for single, dual or even three phase supplies depending on the country and their supply characteristics.

What is the voltage rating?
What is the frequency Hz?

Some countries have a lower single phase voltage than ours but their dual or three phase supplies could be somewhere around the mark!

I think on a UK domestic single phase supply 1, 2 & 3 should just all be linked together.

However, it could also be just 1 & 2 or 2 & 3!!!

Take another look at the wiring diagram to see if any of this makes sense.

V

There are squillions of Siemens Hobs, is there any chance that you could share with us the model number.??

The hobs I've seen like this have had the three 'live' connections joined together, though it could be different on this one - we really need a picture of the wiring diagram and connections to be sure.

Normally one of the combinations will be labelled for 230V, and the others for 400V.

Without a picture though, or at least a model number we are all guessing I'm afraid - do Siemen's have a helpline number?

I can't remember the last time I read a well written instruction manual for a hob or cooker, the Bosch one I read last week was rubbish and not even translated properly - with the extra money they charge you'd think they could afford one native English speaker to check the damn thing before publishing!

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all who replied and apologies for the lack of info about the hob.

The different diagrams for connection are marked N1, N2 & N3. Although there is no mention of it in the instructions it turns out that N1 is for one phase and one Neutral (UK) N2 is for Dual phase and N3 for 3 phase. I don't know why they have to make it so complicated and cryptic.

Thanks again.

Thanks to all who replied and apologies for the lack of info about the hob.

The different diagrams for connection are marked N1, N2 & N3. Although there is no mention of it in the instructions it turns out that N1 is for one phase and one Neutral (UK) N2 is for Dual phase and N3 for 3 phase. I don't know why they have to make it so complicated and cryptic.

Thanks again.

homealoan,

Out of interest, and to give me a clearer understanding; are you saying that for the UK 230V single phase supply, you only needed to connect to N1? What are the spare copper links for?

Cheers in advance

V

homealoan,

Out of interest, and to give me a clearer understanding; are you saying that for the UK 230V single phase supply, you only needed to connect to N1? What are the spare copper links for?

Cheers in advance

V
No he isnt. Read it again.

There are 3 methods of connection, for N1, N2 and N3.

N1 is neutral and 1 phase.
N2 is neutral and 2 phases.
N3 is neutral and 3 phases.

He is using the diagram for N1 but he didnt say what this entails. I'm assuming he'll need all the copper links, and all terminals will be connected.

Thanks Steve,

I did indeed misread homealone’s most recent post!

However,
He is using the diagram for N1 but he didnt say what this entails. I'm assuming he'll need all the copper links, and all terminals will be connected.
I too assumed all connections would be linked. I suspected this in my earlier post. I was merely requesting clarification that all connections were indeed linked on a single 230V phase!

Thanks again

V

I installed a Neff hob yesterday - same layout.

The two neutrals are linked together. Leave them like that and connect the neutral to them.
Link the other three terminals together with the two supplied links - thats the live connection.
Connect up the earth, close eyes, and switch on.

Hi, sorry for the late reply!

Yes, Veglen, I did have to use all the copper links as Steve said. And, as Taylortwocities did, I too closed my eyes and switched on!

It would be a lot easier, and probably safer, if the instructions were better written. I think some manufacturers use the same guy that writes The Times Cryptic Crossword to write their instructions...

It may have had a very clear and concise set of installation instructions in it's native language, but it may have been translated into English via French, Polish, Greek and Japanese by an Italian..... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back