Hob wiring help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I want to install a candy pvc401n electric hob and a little unsure of the wiring as there are a few options........

monophase 220-240v
2 phase 220-240v
2 phase 380-415v2n
3 phase 220-240v3
3 phase 380-4153n

I think I need to wire up as monophase as this is just being installed in a normal UK house - am I right?

Also the hob is 6500w and the main cooker wire is 6mm - is this correct for the hob?

The wiring also goes on about 'shunt'?

Phase

shunt 1-2
shunt 2-3

Neutral

shunt 4-5

earth E

I am no electrician, is this suggesting that my live feed out of my 6mm cable needs to be split into 3 and goto terminals 1,2 and 3 and the neutral needs to be split into 2 and goto terminals 4 and 5?

For some reason I would have thought 3 wires - 3 terminals.

I am installing an oven as well but the instructions on there seem to suggest the oven plugs into a household ring circuit socket.

Many thanks for any help

M9G

Sponsored Links
Hobs are often set up like that and you are correct in that you need the 240 volt monophase connections. Usually the links that join certain terminals together will already be in the correct places for UK single phase but you should check this. The "shunt" term just means link the terminals specified so then the live wire goes to terminal 1, 2 or 3, the neutral to terminal 4 or 5.
Your 6mm cable is adequate providing your oven only takes up to 3000 watts. If it is a double oven using more than that you will either need individual 6mm cables to each appliance from the consumer unit or one 10mm cable from the consumer unit to serve both appliances.

Lovely thanks,

According to the spec of the oven it has a plug on the end so just plugs straight into a wall socket so no probs there.

So with regards to the hob, am I reading right that for monophase then i only need to connect the live to terminal 1,2 or 3 but all 3 have to be bridged and same for the neutral only connect to 4 or 5 but both have to be bridged?

Also to moderator sorry for the double posting

Sponsored Links
Yes, the terminals have to be bridged the way you say. As I said, these links should already be in place. If they are not in place, are there any such links loose with the fixings etc?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back