Hobbies that pay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my hobbys & probably the one that I enjoy most, is buying old miners Davy lamps, cleaning, servicing & restoring them back to working condition.

10's of 1000's of these were sold during the miners strikes to raise money & most have sat on shelfs as decorative items for 30+yrs. I pick 'em up for £50-£60 & flog 'em off for £100+ depending on how bashed they are . . . .

So I started on 2 last night, one of 'ems bonnet was particularly stubborn to remove so this morning I've popped over the road to borrow a filter wrench off a neighbour. Inside the bonnet, instead of the gauze cage I find a rolled up bunch of uncirculated £20notes totalling £5500 !

Mrs. Lard is currently recounting it for the 6th time but I'm in a dilemma as to what to do with it? The lamps came from a high volume antiques dealer I buy from regular & their origin is probably from a house clearance which could be anywhere . . . . ?

Sponsored Links
Finders keepers, enjoy it. I have a vintage business and find all sorts although never had that kind of luck....and the chance of finding the actual person who put it there is slim to non and, sad to say, most likely deceased which is often why these things come to market when the possessions are cleared by family members who probably saw them as dust collectors at Grandpa's house.

One of my hobbys & probably the one that I enjoy most, is buying old miners Davy lamps, cleaning, servicing & restoring them back to working condition.

10's of 1000's of these were sold during the miners strikes to raise money & most have sat on shelfs as decorative items for 30+yrs. I pick 'em up for £50-£60 & flog 'em off for £100+ depending on how bashed they are . . . .

So I started on 2 last night, one of 'ems bonnet was particularly stubborn to remove so this morning I've popped over the road to borrow a filter wrench off a neighbour. Inside the bonnet, instead of the gauze cage I find a rolled up bunch of uncirculated £20notes totalling £5500 !

Mrs. Lard is currently recounting it for the 6th time but I'm in a dilemma as to what to do with it? The lamps came from a high volume antiques dealer I buy from regular & their origin is probably from a house clearance which could be anywhere . . . . ?
Since you have more money than sense then you should donate it to a Palestinian charity. Then you can wear the flag with pride.

Be careful, Hamas are a proscribed terror organisation, funding and supporting them is illegal.

Sponsored Links
Since you have more money than sense then you should donate it to a Palestinian charity. Then you can wear the flag with pride.
Or donate a few lamps, as they have lots of tunnels. [/not a serious post]

What if the dosh is hot?
Numbers all seem to be fairly concurrent like it all comes from one withdrawal, Mrs. Lard has paid £500 into her bank so we'll soon see if 'owt traces back . . .

But since the recommendation was a charity, your comment is irrelevant
Poor old MBK gets confused. He probably thinks all Irish people go around bombing pubs and killing horses. Wannabee lawyers for ya.

Sponsored Links
Back