Hoisting sliding wardrobe doors through 2nd floor window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to build a sliding door wardrobe. Each door measures apprx. 2222mm X 7610mm from places like Homebase or Wickes. I will not be able to negotiate the doors through the building. I think the only way is to simply tie a long rope (length-ways) around each door and hoist it up. My main concern is making sure the rope always remains tight around each door.

Does anyone have experience with something like this? I'm thinking of a long Ratchet Tie Down such as this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-4948...ef=sr_1_9?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1352555276&sr=1-9

This item should work shouldn't it or is there a flaw with this method? If anyone knows how this should be done then I would really appreciate your advice. There's no point in continuing this project until I know this can be done. My windows are wide enough by the way!

Thanks very much and hope you can help.

Sponsored Links
Each door measures apprx. 2222mm X 7610mm .
We know you added a zero just for laughs but really, that's not much taller than a normal door, how did they get the existing doors up through the property do you think? Or have you already tried?

freddymercurystwin";p="2570332 said:
We know you added a zero just for laughs but really, that's not much taller than a normal door, how did they get the existing doors up through the property do you think? Or have you already tried?

Yes, just noticed the zero :LOL:

I know what you mean not being much taller than a normal door but it's the combination of the width that does it. My own front door is on the first floor where upon opening it I'm met with my own flight of stairs. The communal landing is the same width as one of these doors (without the zero) and there's a wall on the left side of my front door where I'm coming from the right on the communal landing. I can get let's say a plank of wood that's 2.4m long through my door because there's room to lift, move it through the door and follow it up the stairs. It would be fascinating to calculate the possibility of these doors going through but I've got no idea how to do that accurately and I can't take the risk of buying one to see! Thanks for your help.

go to b&q get a sheet off 6 mdf cut to the correct size
cut the offcut into 30mm strip fix strips full width to the top and bottom to the door thickness or a bit more just make sure the corners are all full thickness

also remember the doors wont flex like the board so on tight points make sure the board is flat and remember on the hollow side to add the thickness to any tight points

Sponsored Links
It would be a bit of a chore for me to do that especially because I haven't got a car but having said that, I'm sure I can bang some timber together one way or another to make a frame of the same size so thanks for that idea.

In the meantime and in case it is too big, can someone tell me if they've used one of these Ratchet Tie Downs and therefore know if I were to pull on the excess webbing to hoist the doors up, the ratchet wouldn't release!

As I mentioned in the first post, I don't know if there's a specific setup for doing something like this but any better method you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

i have had to deliver furniture via a 2nd story flat roof this included a 3ftx3ft 6" book shelve simply because the entry to the top room was 30" wide around 4 winders on a 50 % stair

i attached 2 bits off 2x1 with a hole in the top but at the center horizontal pivot point and 2" longer to act as skids

2 people stood on 2 planks with a "V" overhanging the gutter by a few inched
then when the ropes are fully above the planks they let them slide back and allows the unit to pivot onto the roof

any way forget ratchet straps
2 people and rope up top and one below to stop it touching

you could probably do it on your own but one touch on a wall or frame can ruin your doors

It would be a bit of a chore for me to do that especially because I haven't got a car but having said that, I'm sure I can bang some timber together one way or another to make a frame of the same size so thanks for that idea.

In the meantime and in case it is too big, can someone tell me if they've used one of these Ratchet Tie Downs and therefore know if I were to pull on the excess webbing to hoist the doors up, the ratchet wouldn't release!

As I mentioned in the first post, I don't know if there's a specific setup for doing something like this but any better method you can think of would be greatly appreciated.
You don't need anything special, tie downs mentioned are for doing just that and rachet could damage the light weight frames on a door.Bit of rope will do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back