Hole in Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the floor up ready for the tiler on Monday. There's quite a deep hole near the patio doors though which I guess I should fill now so it's set in time for tiling.

Shall I just fill with concrete up to the floor level? Do I need to worry about damp proofing or anything like that? There's various bits of plastic poking out.

IMG_0927.JPG IMG_0928.JPG

Sponsored Links
Caveat - I'm not a builder so seek advice from someone more knowledgeable...but...I wouldn't just fill with concrete - that looks to me like the hole or trench is the cavity for your wall - if you just fill it with concrete you're going to create a bridge for both water ingress and thermal.

You probably need to apply a liquid dpc to the inside face of the exterior wall or even attach a piece of plastic DPC to the inside face with a bit of gripfill etc before you put in any type of fill. secondly for the fill I would probably look at a cavity wall insulation or something like perlite that you can screed over the top of.

is that where a dwarf wall was? and french doors? Replaced by the patio doors?

I had something similar and excavated down to a stable concrete, added blinding sand, dpc membrane, and painted liquid DPc to join everything before adding concrete to level it up. Then parquet inserted in the fresh gap.

the Previous owner had an aluminium patio door to replace a pair of french windows and dwarf wall on either side.
The fitters had just roughly finished the floor where the wall had been, and the original parquet where the doors had been was a bit rotten, either through a bad set of original french doors, or because of a badly fitted aluminium patio door.

It looks like it was previously just an exterior wall that was knocked through. So the trench is actually the cavity as Chud says.

I'll do a bit more googling but it seems that if I apply the dpc incorrectly I could end up making it worse.

Sponsored Links
I hoovered out the 'trench' to get a better look. I guess the blue poking out of the floor is a DPM and the black line on the external wall is a DPC. Should I paint liquid DPM from the blue DPM, through the trench and up to the external wall to the DPC?

IMG_0929.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back