Hole in radiator, possible to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just noticed a radiator dripping so closed the valves and it stopped. There’s a hole in it near the valve and i’m wondering what are my chances of fixing it?

It must be on the threaded part with it being so close to the end

506F5E7F-608A-402E-BDBD-1DED0AFA8F2C.jpeg

Is there a product I could try?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Gutted. Time to test the 10year guarantee.

It has Sentinel x100 in it, is that any good?

Sponsored Links
If its on the female threaded spigot, where it mates with the male thread of the valve tail, you could try some liquid ptfe to remake the tail into the socket and thus seal both at the same time perhaps! Whilst you pursue the warranty claim :)

I’ll give that a go (y) I did think about injecting some liner resin into it too.

Remove the head, "fit a decorators cap" and cross your fingers! Or screw a female end of a suitable size in place of the rad.

Last edited:
Remove the head and cross your fingers!

Removing the head of a TRV will leave the valve wide open! TRV's are supplied with a service cap to be fitted to close the valve to allow the rad to be removed. If you haven't got it, turn the TRV off and hope for the best. I know someone who took a rad off, think the TRV was shut, as the room cooled down the TRV slowly started to open.....

Er yes forgot about the decorators cap, paying attention to tv instead of typing, multi tasking is not working well tonight, make sure you screw that on first:LOL:thanks!

Only way to fix that is to drain, dry and weld/braise. Know anyone local that can weld cause that will take 2 secs and 2p of time to do.

Only way to fix that is to drain, dry and weld/braise. Know anyone local that can weld cause that will take 2 secs and 2p of time to do.

I think you might be right.

I took the valve off today and I think the threaded part is an insert into the steel tube that’s the radiator bottom.

The weld must not be good all around the insert. I’ve sealed it in and out for now and if it leaks again i’ll get it welded. I’m pleased it’s not corroded.

I think the leak comes through like this:
CB2CB478-2BA3-4502-9215-27401BD4556E.png

B7AC74CB-CB6C-4176-917A-1A2C4011EEEA.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back