Hole in the wall fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
Help wanted for a never before worked with plaster person!!

I am wanting to get the below fire installed but before then I need some plastering doing around the opening of the Hole in the wall fireplace.
http://bit.ly/1L6YZKd

The opening needs to be 415mm W x 570mm H
The opening is currently 470mm W x 560mm H

The plastering will need to be both sides to square up the opening.

Below is also a picture of the fireplace as it is now.
IMG_2720.JPG

I have heard that the fireplace surround can have plasterboard placed around it then skimmed with '3in1' plaster?? Is this safe, due to heat etc?
I am after the quickest way to get this done so I can get the new fitted as soon as possible..

Many thanks all....

Mark

Sponsored Links
It will be safe, but heat from the fire may crack the plaster. There are special plaster for areas of extreme heat, or alternative a render coat would be advised.

OK so the plasterboard would be OK to use but to stop the cracking I would need some extreme heat plaster or a special render?
:)

Dont do anything further until you have had a GSI inspect the position & the variables and the fire itself (or its instructions).

There's a whole range of gas fire installation variables, get one wrong and it may have consequences - i can immediately see one difficulty in the pic. Now i notice two ...

Get a professional in to advise and perhaps save yourself a bit of effort and money.

To answer your question: use a render of 4:1 sand & cement or lime - skim with any available finish.
All the outside corners should be covered by the fire surround.

Sponsored Links
OK, we now have a GSI chap coming to remove the old fire and fit the new one....Just a plasterer now to do the bit in between!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back