Hole in wall, behind skirting board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a traditional 1940s UK semi and have recently attempted to replace the kitchen skirting boards. We are not great at DIY and have discovered a problem. On removing a piece of skirting that was glued on, there is a large hole in the wall. This is an external double brick wall (no cavity) and the hole area goes to single brick, there is an airbrick in this space, and when we look down we can see the floor space beneath the wooden floor boards. The gap in the wall is about three feet in length. I am reluctant to glue a new skirts on as it will only attached by one inch at the top and simply be resting on the floor underneath. We can't brick up the hole without lifting all the floorboards (new floor now laid so not a viable option) and expanding foam won't work as it will just fall into the void under the floor. Any suggestions on how to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It sounds like it's functioning as a duct for the airbrick. The airbrick is above floor height, possibly due to the ground level outside. The air blows horizontally until it hits the back of the skirting, then turns downwards to blow under the floor.

Definitely don't block it, with expanding foam or anything else. This airflow stops the floor from rotting away.

I don't see an issue with putting skirting back spanning the gap, as it was. It will be just touching at the top, but will be held by the surrounding areas to left and right so will be fine. I'd just paint the back of the skirting in this area (and beyond), with primer then a couple of topcoats to ensure that damp air blowing in hopefully doesn't make it bend or cup (or rot).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back