Internal skirt removed to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently had an issue with damp next to a party wall where we had a unit pushed up to it. We're fairly certain now it was condensation / lack of air movement. Neighbour has no problems on their side.

The skirting board was rotten, so I've taken it out and was surprised to find a second "internal" skirt where I was expecting to see plastering to just above the floor. This was slightly rotten on the bottom too, so I've taken it off. Now it's down to brick. Floor is cement by the way.

The wall seems fine and dry but there's a lot of cement missing between bricks so I'm wondering what to do next as I am a total newbie. Originally I was hoping just to be able to fit a new skirting board.

Should the wall be treated / repointed before plastering?
Is there a reason it was wood internally and not plastered?

Any help or direction is appreciated. Many thanks.

Internal skirt (before removing):
internal-skirt.jpg

Close up (partially removed):
internal-skirt-close.jpg

Brick (carpet damage visible):
brick.jpg

Sponsored Links
The "internal skirting" is what we call a timber ground. It's up to you if you replace it like for like (although treated timber would be better), or just fill the gap with something like bonding plaster and skirt to that when the plaster has cured

Thanks for the response.

Is the missing mortar around bricks not something to worry about?
If I choose to plaster, do I just plaster directly on to the bricks?

Should I leave a gap between the floor and plaster? It could be difficult because the floor is uneven. I've seen some people insulate/foam the gap.

Single skin wall by looks of it?
Need to use lime mortar Vs gypsum which will pull the damp.

Sponsored Links
Single skin wall by looks of it?
Need to use lime mortar Vs gypsum which will pull the damp.
Not sure, I guess it's possible because it's a party wall.

I'll take a look for lime mortar. Lime plaster worth using too?

Those bricks look end on which indicates single skin wall.

You could add dry rods yourself to fix damp. Maybe. Not my area tbh..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back