Repairing damaged wall after removing skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just removed all my skirting boards from downstairs, prior to fitting laminate flooring.

Now that the skirting has been removed, there is a gap where the plaster is missing, about the same height as the skirting boards were.

As I will be fitting the new skirting with "No Nails", it needs a surface to adhere the new skirting to, therefore effectively extending the plaster downwards to the floor.

My question is, what can I use to fill the gap??

Sponsored Links
I had the same problem in my house a few years ago. I just bought a bag of cheap one coat plaster from my local builders merchants, mixed it up in a bucket and used it as filler to fill the gap at the bottom of the wall. It doesn't really matter what it looks like as it's just to fill the gap (or was in my case anyway - I fastened the skirting back with screws and plugs) and shouldn't be visible once the skirting is back on.

sparkymarky's spot on, though i would sooner use carlite bonding, as it will probably shrink less.
also a diluted dousing with pva will help.

Sponsored Links
PVA on the wall prior to plaster or PVA diluted in the plaster mix?

I was thinking of a bit of plaster, just to take it down to the floor, in dabs every half metre or so.

pva on the wall prior to plaster.

you're best off filling the gap solid all the way along.
you never know where you might place a fixing.

Hi Bluedan,

Just a thought, but has the downstairs of your house had a damp course?? This may be the reason why there's a gap between the plaster and the floor as the wall needs to be able to breathe.

Again i could be wrong, but if this is the case you could be in danger of violating the damp course guarantee???

Personally i would go with the suggestion of fixing thin(ish) batons of wood to the wall, then fixing your skirting board to that.

Hope this helps...

Rich is correct. Don't bridge the DPC.

BTW, do you HAVE to use laminate? It's already out of fashion.

joe

Why would the damp course be above the level of the floor? Is it fair to assume that mine is below if its a suspended timber floor? Sorry bit I'm just about to do the same thing and don't want to cause issues?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back