Replacing skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am replacing skirting boards in my bedroom and have come across a bit of a challenge.

When i've removed the old boards, i have exposed a hole behind one which appears to be the ceiling void of the bay window on the ground floor (bay on ground floor, flat wall on first).

My question is, how can I now fix my skirting board. I could glue along the top edge of the board and stick it to the wall above the hole but my concern is that if the bottom gets knocked it will just fold under.

Alternatively I can try to nail through the skirting and into the floor boards but i am concerned that this will just push the board back into the gap also.

The original board was taller than what I am putting in and was nailed to the floor boards.

Sponsored Links
Is the ceiling void "inside" or "outside" in terms of insulation? Just check you're not giving yourself an extra air brick there.
Personally assuming it's plasterboard wall if it's big just fix a batten behind and a small strip of plasterboard if necessary. Then you can pack out and fix your board. I've tried screws, no more nails, and fixing foam for skirting and they all seem to work OK once it's on. But the no more nails was very wasteful.

Is the ceiling void "inside" or "outside" in terms of insulation? Just check you're not giving yourself an extra air brick there.
Personally assuming it's plasterboard wall if it's big just fix a batten behind and a small strip of plasterboard if necessary. Then you can pack out and fix your board. I've tried screws, no more nails, and fixing foam for skirting and they all seem to work OK once it's on. But the no more nails was very wasteful.
Thanks for replying John,

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. The void looks like it is the gap between the felt on top of the bay and the ceiling construction below, so i would hazard a guess that it is external, and possibly that there is no insulation.

I'm a bit lost by what you mean about air bricks - I know what one is, but not what giving myself an extra one means...

It's a brick wall that's been plastered and skimmed, and i can't get to the other side to fix a baton under for fixing onto.

Can you insert a chunk of wood into the hole?
Either a bit that is close to size or using wedges to get a tight fit.

You can grip fill the skirting as well

Sponsored Links
Can you insert a chunk of wood into the hole?
Either a bit that is close to size or using wedges to get a tight fit.

You can grip fill the skirting as well
That's looking like my best option - either that or screw a baton down to the skirtings and fix to that but all run the risk of being pushed too far back into the void...

I wanted to avoid physically fixing anything to the floorboards so i can take them up if needs be.

So if it's a brick wall, does that mean it's built onto the floorboards?

A photo would clear a lot up for us.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back