Infill Steel Beam behind skirting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my steel beam installed which sits in the 1st floor floor void and extends past the floor level by approximately 200mm.

I will be insulating and then boarding in front of it but wanted to know if there is a way of getting something solid in there to fix the skirting boards back to. Blocking it up seems a bit overkill. Alternatively i can just pack it with insulation then fly the boards past it and just stick the skirting board.

What would you suggest?

Sponsored Links
If I understand correctly, you could hammer some noggins between the flanges?
Or is there not enough space to get them in?

Attachments

• upload_2021-8-31_19-43-36.png
    upload_2021-8-31_19-43-36.png
    541.1 KB · Views: 87
That is what I mean and an option I was thinking of but as half the steel is within the floor void with a joist running parallel to it I don't think it will be that easy.

Sponsored Links
I suspect skirting does not give the beam the required fire protection.

I suspect skirting does not give the beam the required fire protection.
As Woody says, BC required 1/2 hour fire protection on my beam. One layer fireboard, or 2 of plasterboard. Unless beam has been painted with intumescent paint.

1 layer of fire board then before the skirting goes on.

Think so. I will see if its doable over the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back