Hole through concreter block and beam floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post, so please go easy.

We are looking at removing a ground floor load bearing wall approx. 3.5m long and have got a design from a structural engineer based on original drawings of the house. Had a builder lined up for this week but ended up putting them back due to the inaccuracy of the drawings we have for the house.

The original house drawing shows a suspended floor, but we actually have a concrete block and beam floor. This has complicated the design and the SE (and I) want to make sure the design (2 goal posts with beam between) can be adapted to suit.

I have exposed the top of the block and beam floor on both sides of the wall (through about 30mm of screed) and have drilled a small hole through one of the blocks and used an endoscope to see what is underneath and it isn’t clear. The beams are staggered see drawing.

51CE1E76-11E3-4140-A776-4319C73B0919.jpg

SE wants to know what the beams bear on, (drawing shows 2 courses of brick on 225mm trench block) and what the foundation is. We no longer have any confidence in the drawings.

What is the implication of making a larger hole in one of the blocks (say 50mm x 50mm), so I can take a better look and feedback to the SE. The hole would be close to the wall that we are proposing to remove.

If we went ahead with removing the wall, the block(s) would need to be removed. If it was too complicated, I would need to make good.

Any advise, would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Your image isn't showing.

A 50x50mm hole is neither there or here and can simply be made good, in the grand scheme of things dig holes where you need to to understand the existing structure. Should all have been done/checked prior to the start date.

BTW a B/B floor is a suspended floor.

A concrete beam and block floor is a suspended floor?…

As long as you don’t damage the concrete beams you could break out a full block if you wanted to - can then easily reinstate with a new block.

Hopefully the drawing is showing now. Original drawing shows a 150mm thick RC floor, not block and beam.

Acknowledge that a B&B floor is also suspended, but definitely not as per drawings.

Thanks for advice on the hole in the floor. Figured, it probably wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Sponsored Links
So dig a bigger hole and see what the beams are sitting on/it's location, as presumably that will be where the column will need to be. This is all stuff that should be being requested by your SE.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back