Blocks for Beam & Block flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are the blocks used for Beam and Block flooring the same or different to standard dense concrete blocks that you would use for building walls?

Thanks in advance :D

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes they use the same blocks that you'd use to build a wall - can be either lightweight or medium/dense depending on whats been specified by the designer.

Many thanks.
I have been spec'd 7N however i am getting 10N for near enough same price so thinking to go with those.

Strength of the block makes no difference in a beam and block floor really - the 3.6/7/10N etc. strength is compressive strength, and in a B&B floor application the blocks aren't acting in compression.

The only real difference between block types for a B&B floor is the effect on thermal properties, ease of handling etc...

Sponsored Links
Am i correct on assuming that 10N would have better thermal and soundproofing properties? or will it be hardly any difference

It'll be no different to the lower strength block (assuming you're comparing like-for-like blocks by the same manufacturer).

You can get data sheets for blocks that'll tell you specs for thermal conductivity, sound insulation etc.. on the manufacturers websites if you're trying to compare.

OK thanks. I may just go for the ones that are cost effective then. I had been told by a local builders merchant that dense concrete blocks used for B&B floor are different to ones used for wall construction.

There are special ones, which don't have frogs on the ends. Not sure it matters or not though!

Concrete blocks don't have frogs?

I always forget the term for blocks that have an indent at both ends..... thought it was frog, like a brick. Hopefully someone can tell me the correct term!

I always forget the term for blocks that have an indent at both ends..... thought it was frog, like a brick. Hopefully someone can tell me the correct term!

I've never seen a concrete block that's anything other than plain rectangular...

I've never seen a concrete block that's anything other than plain rectangular...

Oh... maybe it's something we just get in Jersey then!

All blocks are like this.....

IMG_8408.jpg

Am i correct on assuming that 10N would have better thermal and soundproofing properties? or will it be hardly any difference

A denser heavier block will have better soundproofing qualities than a less dense block. Whether it is noticeable or not is another question. Unless you live in a flat, I can't imagine what noise will be emanating from the floor void...?...mebbe it's a subterranean garage?

Usually the lightweight aerated concrete ones have better thermal performance so if they had been specced and you wanted to get the correct performance it'd be best to stick with what's specified. But i think 7 and 10N are both basically solid concrete so similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back