Beam and block, and beam and EPS blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm fortunate enough to own a plot of land with full planning permission to build a large 5/6 bedroom detached house with internal garage.

I've been researching the different types of floors and I think I've shortened my list to beam and block or EPS blocks (e.g Tetris, Litecast, etc) floor.

Concrete blocks are heavy, solid and strong, so we (I do) think they're really good for floors. Whereas EPS blocks are light, in fact very light in comparison to concrete blocks.

Is EPS block (e.g Tetris, Litecast, etc) floor as strong (or close enough) as concrete blocks?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody.

Do you mean both will be equally strong? If so then I'm quite surprised to hear that. I was expecting a reply that the insulation block floor to be a lot weaker.
If they're equally strong, then does insulation block floor have any disadvantages in relation to block floor?

Thanks

If you can always go for a slab: cheaper, easier and more thermal efficient.
You should look at a passive foundation as an option.

Insulation infill is just as good as block infill as you cast a structural slab ontop. If you put enough sleeper walls in then it won't have any noticeable bounce.

This is a good option over block infill if you are going for a power floated or polished finish.

However it normally works out the same price is not more than concrete blocks, insulation and screed. You also have have the floor finished before you can work in it. Tetris you can walk in but you would not want to work off it.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean both will be equally strong?

Yes, but I did put bouncy for a reason. If you have China and glasses in a display cabinet, you'll know about it.

Beam and block is only advantageous for builders in terms of ease and speed.

Unless there is a good reason not to, a solid floor would be much better.

Thank you very much for your replies. I really appreciate it.

I think I now understand what you mean by bounce. I definitely didn't consider that before but will do now.

If ease and speed are the only advantages over solid floor (slab) then I don't see the point in getting beam and block for my build.

Thanks again for your advise.

I've done some research about passive foundation, which I would be seriously considering, and learnt a bit about passive house. I already budgeted for solar panels and ground source heating so passive foundation would greatly help to keep the house warm.

I'll start a new thread for Passive House.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back