Beam and block support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Quick one i hope. I'm at ground level, have just filled the cavity with lean concrete and will be laying final block for the beams to rest on. As i have the correct amount of 7.3 blocks left for the flooring, can i use my 3.5 blocks now for the wall, or do i have to change after the beams have been laid. Anything i have researched, has said not to use blocks with less compressive strength than my main walls. As i could logically lay a second floor with beams on my 3.5 blocks, i think it's ok. Would prefer a real world answer though. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
For aggregate blocks, NHBC recommend, and most manufacturers state, that 7.3N blocks should be used below DPC.

Often, 3.6N AAC (Thermalite) blocks are rated fo be used below DPC, but it also depends on the loads applied - usually not an issue for two storey domestic dwellings if this is the case?
Your beam and block supplier may also advise in their literature.

Hasn’t your designer specified a block strength?

Last edited:
Hi Ronny. Single story rear extension. No professional input. B+B manufacturers only give me all the detail for the floor, not below it. If I'm unsure though, I will go with the 7.3's. thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back