Block and beam floor help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building a detached garage which has to have deep footings and block and beam floor due to a neighbours tree.

I am ok with digging the footings and filling them with concrete but don't have a clue where the block and beam sits.

Does the conctrete come to the top of the footings and the beams sit on that or do bricks have to be laid to keep the beams in place? What about the damproofing?

I haven't got a clue. :rolleyes:
Can any of you experienced guys give me advice please?

Sponsored Links
The beams need to sit on walls. For a garage floor you should plan well ahead because you may need intermediate walls to reduce the span of the beams and those walls will need foundations.

Best thing to do is sketch the outside dimensions of the garage and get your local beam and block supplier to do you a design and layout. Tell them it's a garage so they allow for appropriate loadings.

The beams sit on dpm and the sub-floor void must be ventilated as normal. The minimum void is normally 75mm but in potential heave situations such as yours you should allow for 150mm. If you want to heat the garage then the floor will need to be insulated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much.
I had looked on a few websites but didn't see that one.
Makes sense to talk to the people that know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back