holes for washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When drilling holes through a unit to put the washing machine in the space next to the sink. Do you need to drill through as far back i.e as close to the wall as possible. And the drill through the back of the sink unit. Or would drilling a hole say 2inch in though the unit be ok so the holes in front of the back of the sink unit.

Sponsored Links
Or would drilling a hole say 2inch in though the unit be ok so the holes in front of the back of the sink unit.
Bit confused by this sentence. But if you mean can you drill a hole through the walls of the sink unit instead of working the pipe around the back (in the void space provided at the back of the unit), then there is no problem with that, providing the waste pipe doesn't get in the way of you pushing the wahing machine back.

ok by drilling 2inch in from the wall that brings me in to the sink unit. By drilling further back it brings me in to the void behind the sink unit so I'd have to drill a hole from the back on the sink unit aswell. I'm just wondering what is normal practice in this situation. Thanks for any help

just blooter out the back panel (2mm or less plywood)

all the space ye need

FFS!!

Sponsored Links
ok by drilling 2inch in from the wall that brings me in to the sink unit. By drilling further back it brings me in to the void behind the sink unit so I'd have to drill a hole from the back on the sink unit aswell. I'm just wondering what is normal practice in this situation. Thanks for any help
Depends how much room there is behind and to the side of the washing machine. Modern ones tend to go right up to the wall and the waste hose has to go along the back against the wall. Difficult to advise without actually knowing waht space you have - you could even frill a hole in the base of the cupboard and bring the pipe up that way into the spigot on your sink's trap.

Thanks dextrous I think its a quite tight space so as far back as pose mite be best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back