New waste pipes for dishwasher/washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i am putting in new plumbing for dishwasher and washing machine. As i need to drill a new hole in wall for this to go through , what height should this be set at?. i am slo doing a new hole for the sink waste and what height should this be set at?. Also what is the easiest way to creat the holes for the waste traps?. I have been told that i might have problems when using dishwashe and washing machine on same trap, ha d alook through earlier threads, but not much on it

thanks in advance:)

Sponsored Links
Regards the washing machine, your exit hole can be as low as you want, but I would leave space for even a shallow u-bend, that'll stop the spiders invading the house. the trick is that the overflow hose must be in a stand pipe that is higher than the wash m/c drum (about 6" or 150mm under standard work top height) otherwise water will always run out// wash m/c never fill.
Sink :- Are cupboards already fitted and a straight through the wall exit required? If so drop sink in, put U bend lightly in place from the bottom in mid position (there's a bit of play) point open end at wall, draw round it, remove, theres your centre, dishwasher will be ok on this but as a preference I'd keep the wash m/c seperate.
As for the holes, you could use something like these http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?ts=82089&id=101719 or as I did, used a normal hole cutter to break the outer edges of the outside bricks (after drilling a centre hole through the wall from inside) and then use a normal (long) masonry drill, gives a nice finish to the outside appearance.
Pipes should when going through the wall tip "down" slightly to aid run out, if they point up you might find your baked bean remnants from sink or your collection of blue belly button fluff from wash m/c may not flow out and collect in the trap.
Basically if it all goes downhill water will run away with it.

I'd advise you hire diamond core drill(s) for neat holes. Do shop around though, HSS charge far too much!

Sponsored Links
The kitchen isnt fitted yet, i will put U bend in, It will be a straight piped out of the wall and then a pipe will run in the utility down to drain in floor. But what i dont get is how do i fit washing machine and dishwasher on same waste pipe? , Is the some special connections required. i heard you might need a spiget with a tie?(think thats right). not worried about neetness as going in to untility room only and wont be seen

i was thinking, and i dont know if this would work, but to save having waste plumbing in the kitchen, could i not drill two seperate holes for the dishwasher and washing machine hose outlets(then thread these straight through holes in wall), this would keep them high up and then could go in to seperate traps in the utility room?, this would also mean dishwasher/washing machine can be more up against the wall and if the was any leak it would go in the outhouse and on to a tiled floor rather then ruin my laminate. Comments on this ?
Outlet hoses are long enough

Think you will find the machines will not go any further back to the wall as the waste pipes from the machine are usualy designed to be flush with the rear of the machine.

I would put an upstand pipe & u trap as has been suggested I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back