Holes Too Big For Bolts? Do I use Anchor Resin Too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I'm fixing an awning to the side of the wall, it required 14mm size holes - however due to difficulity getting leverage drilling up high, my arm wobbled a bit - end result is when I go to put the bolts in the holes, they aren't tight enough to need a hammer - I can push 4/6 of them straight in with a little shove. See pictures for tightness.

I've never used these anchor bolts before, will the tightness be ok once I tighten - or should I look at some alternative - e.g.

• Put some chemical resin in the hole too just before fixing?
  • Shove some matchsticks/wooden skewers alongside to make tighter? Does this work with bolts like this

I don't want to re-drill holes (as all lined up perfectly etc). Thoughts appreciated.

IMG-20210702-123929.jpg

IMG-20210702-123751.jpg

IMG-20210702-123802.jpg

Sponsored Links
the resin wil be a permanent job. Matchsticks would be a bodge and rot out, and not strong.

The resin is used with stainless studding for serious concrete work, very strong and long-lasting. I don't know if expanding bolts are suitable with it as they work on a different princible, and the threads would get bunged up.

Stainless nuts and washers are needed as well because this is not a job you ever want to fail and repair.

Resin should be used with resin anchors or deep threaded cut studding as it needs to "key" to the study's thread. At best with a shield anchor you'd get a weak connection, at worst you'd need to tighten the anchor which would risk breaking up the resin.

Note that on resin anchors you only need to drill 2mm larger than the studs, I.e 14mm holes for a 12mm studs. Any steelwork should be drilled 2mm larger than the studs to give a bit of shimmy room and installed with washes on the studs. Going to very big holes for the studs is not only wasteful of expensive resin, but also risks producing a stud with poorer pull out resistance

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I'll keep with the expanding bolts - if the current 14mm dont tighten, I will buy some 15mm/16mm and drill slightly wider - ensuring I keep my arm straight and true which should be easier with a 14mm pilot hole so to speak

I hung some 8 ft gates on some 9” concrete posts for my yard. The old rawl bolts were always coming loose. I just used the centre stud of the new rawl bolts with some chemical anchor. Worked perfectly.

You shouldn’t need hammer to put them in just tighten them. They expand several mm.

Hold the collar on the wall and yank the thread out. Then tighten them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back