Holey Moses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into our new home, bungalow built in 1990, found this under a flimsy board in the utility room, I'm wanting to lay new flooring but need to be sure I can board over it first. My first thoughts are that it was some sort of heater sighted over it forcing warm are around the property, the duct runs under the flooring,
1000010015.jpg
It's approx 60cm square and looks like it stood floor to ceiling as you can see the same outline above on the plaster, or it may have been housed in a tall cupboard. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks, Otto, in a damp West Cumbria.

Sponsored Links
It is most probably the duct work for a warm air heating system, if that has since been replaced by a conventional boiler, pipework and radiators, you can do as you like with it.

Sponsored Links
We moved into a brand new council house in 1971. That had hot air heating, run by gas. The heater was in a downstairs cupboard in the centre of the house with vents going to the kitchen, the lounge, my parents bedroom and my sisters bedroom. I had the small bedroom with no heating. :( One thing I remember about that was that the slidable air grill above the front door had been painted over while open and my dad couldn’t close it. Being a new house, he complained to the council who sent a bloke round. He told him it had deliberately been painted over by the builders while open to jam it open as the heater needed to suck air in from outside to work!:eek: Obviously no gas safe in those days…..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back