Hollow sound to newly (professionally) plastered walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having finally admitted defeat with just too many DIY jobs to do, we're having our house professionally plastered at the moment, and one of the rooms had some really bad areas of blown plaster. I discussed this with the plasterer who said they would cut back and re-bond these areas before skimming.

I came home two days ago to a completely finished skimmed room after one day's plastering which made me a little suspicious as, though I'm not a plasterer, don't you have to let the bonded areas dry before you can skim?

So today, though its not yet completely dry, I went over the bad areas tapping and they still sound completely hollow, just like they did before the plastering. I don't want to play hell with the plastered if there is no reason, so could someone tell me, if the bonding coat is still wet would that explain why these areas are still hollow? The wall is still quite wet after 2 days, which gives me reason to think he has used more than just a thin skim coat, so I'm a bit confused!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like he's chopped it back but not prepped the wall properly to control the suction. The wall has then sucked out the water from the undercoat plaster which is now not adhering to the wall.

Thanks for that. And I'm guessing this means its just as bad a before and will eventually come away from the wall? So should I make him do it again?

It's pretty much the same as before. Talk to him about it. He'll have to do it all again if he does anything.

Sponsored Links
he can use bonding then skim it same day you know. As he bonds his areas then while waiting skims the rest and then skim those areas at the end of the day. it will remain wet for a lot longer than 2 days. as for the hollow sound id asses it once its all completely dried out then judge the work.

Thanks Paul. He's back on Monday, so I guess I'll mention it to him then, but we can keep an eye on it all week. How long would you expect it to take to be fully dry?

the colour darkens 1st then starts to randomly patch light colours, your probably at this stage already. once its all light pinky coloured then you know. But the bonded areas will take a few days more. dont be tempted to turn the radiator on in the room to dry quicker, just let it dry naturally.

It won't suddenly stop sounding hollow when it's dry - it will sound more so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back