Kitchen plastering - tidying after removing tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

A while since I've posted a plastering question! Back on the DIY trail!

I've been removing tiles in my kitchen, which has removed some of the skim leaving hollows, and left some 'stripes' from the adhesive that was stuck firmly on the original skim etc - see below.

I'm thinking before re-skimming, I'd perhaps be better with a tight coat of Bonding to ensure the hollows are filled in and make the skimming easier, as it is quite an uneven surface.
I'm concerned about introducing a 'step' in the plastering though - what would you guys do?
Do you fill just the hollows with the Bonding or over the whole damaged area and feather out around the edge of the white painted area (which is still v smooth). Or would you put a tight Bonding coat all the way over the entire wall regardless? etc

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi newbee, If you are going to retile again then I would just spread it with tile adhesive. But if you are not going to tile it. then if the wall is not damp and not likely to be damp then level it all over with bonding and skim it...dont forget to "devil" it. ...You could put a few scratches on the white area with a stanley knife to give it a key aswell...
;)

Typically, for best practice it's better to go back to brick/masonry and start from a known surface. Do any and all knocking-off before any mixing. Thing is, how much wall space are you going to do up?

No damp present, we usually S&C&L scratch and thin float, rub up and tile on top - definitely no skimming unless decorating.. Remember that tile typically brings you proud off the wall.

I can't tell whats behind that rough old tile area, but if you do leave it on, you should give it a good scrape down. Use an old steel trowel edge, dont use the good trowel. Use thin-set, it will take out much uneveness and hollows, flatten it out, straight-edge across and leave to tack-up, and then spread and tile. Mastic is non professional, except in certain situations.

Thanks Roy and dan.

I plan to re-tile and the extent will be no more than the previous.

The holes are quite deep in places, so prob needs something to fill the deep ones. Otherwise could need a lot of adhesive!

What do you mean by 'thin-set'?

Behind the skim looks to be an undercoat - Grey in colour, may be S&c, but is quite sound.

Sponsored Links
Thin-set is tile adhesive that comes, in bags, as a powder, and is mixed on site with water and sometimes additives. Some use it as a filler and gradually build it up, but essentially, it's an adhesive. Mastic comes, pre-mixed, in tubs.

A dollop of S&C will take out and bring up, any deep hollows or holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back