Holy Sh*t moment!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thought I'd better investigate and document the electrics in my dining room before I cover with laminate, found an interesting JB fed from a ring socket in the kitchen and supplying 2 double sockets in the dining room, no FCU in sight and no earth sleaves either. Easy enought to sort, but I also found these under the floor!

View media item 49956
2 huge wasts nests, thankfull no longer in use. I'd found a few small ones under the lounge floor but nothing like this, explains why the air bricks have had mesh stuck over them! Glad I didn't open that floor whilst they were occupied :eek:

Sponsored Links
years back i was lifting some boards on a ground floor and found a huge nest,all attached to the boards i was lifting.THANK the lord they were dead too.mind you i did fill my pants.

For info - wasps only use a nest for one season. The workers die off in the Autumn and only the queens overwinter. They move on and start a new colony in the spring. Thus, unless you see a nest actively in use it's quite safe to remove them. They are fascinating things to dismantle.

Sponsored Links
Haha, This is amazing. Makes me think what could be under my floor.

normally just some tab ends, empty fag packets and other bits of rubbish! I ended up squeezing through a hole in the floor, crawling along and scraping the nests off the air bricks. In the loft of last house, I noticed what looked like a small amount of expanding foam and prodded it, after which it fell onto the floor and a bunch of not very happy wasps started to emerge! I legged it and spent a couple of days removing the remaining occupiers.

Some years ago, I was up someone's loft looking at a skylight they had (which happened to leak slightly, but had been fixed). I noticed a wasps nest about the size of a 12" portable tv and asked how long it had been there. The chap said he'd not noticed it at Christmas time when he'd last been in the loft. When I was coming back down, I got the loft hatch ready to close and launched a small length of 3" by 2" at it, and watched as a swarm of the horrible insects filled his loft. Dropped the hatch rather quickly and almost fell down the steps. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
PS ( I did advise him not to go back up the loft until the following Christmas)

When you come across these just squirt some ant powder at the entrance to them.

Its cheap and kills them off quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back