Home security camera advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our area is suffering from little **** heads going around trying car doors, taking what they can find, we're wanting to put a couple of cameras up with the ability to record, pir, good night vision, with phone alerts, wired or wireless, can yous recommend a 2 camera system for around £100 or under, thanks

Sponsored Links
I don’t think you’ll get anything with two cameras that record faces in low light in detail that will be anywhere near recognisable for that money.

Cameras should be picked based on the job they need to do not price.

Distance of the car/ cars from the CCTV camera, how well illuminated is the area, but your better if your street has cameras, as this makes it harder for them to hide.

Sponsored Links
I have 2 Neos cameras. Designed really for indoors, but I have mine in outdoor enclosures.
They are £25 each, enclosures about £10 (you could make something) and they store short video clips on cloud for free, or for about $2.50 through Google Pay you get longer clips. Night vision is good. I have turned telephone alerts off as there is a lot of alerts, especially on driveways where car lights will trigger it. The sun coming out also triggers it, as do spiders, flies, cats etc! Wifi only (2.4Ghz)

But for under £100 I can't complain. Been up for about 2 years now.

Obviously over time it will be more expensive than some HDD based systems.

Mobile screenshot (reminds me, need to move the patio back to the patio area - pointed at the garden when my son wanted to camp out during lockdown!):

Screenshot_20210119-105515.png

not sure what the resolution recorded is and that's when it will count as will day/ versus night images.

It be esy to see someone on the first image furthest away from the camera (detect), but wont have a useful image until they are much closer I suspect with 2 to 3M of the camera, but hard to say, with certainty. I gues having someone stood at various points would demonstrate the limitations with a digital zoom where necessary.

If you don't mind running a computer for recording the video, Ispy is very good, very configurable and free. You can define areas of received picture to watch for motion, set how much motion triggers recording and how long the recording runs once triggered.

storing based on motion is poor.

in a hallway wouldnt be so bad as your unlikely to get much change expect for a person/s walking down the hallway, with the outside motion recording could be triggered by anything, weather, litter blowing around, don't get me wrong its improved, but its poor. It is also possible to miss things of importance.

try ipvm calculator to see how the camera is likely to perform in the area of interest, this should help you get an idea of suitability for the area you wish to look at.

storing based on motion is poor.

in a hallway wouldnt be so bad as your unlikely to get much change expect for a person/s walking down the hallway, with the outside motion recording could be triggered by anything, weather, litter blowing around, don't get me wrong its improved, but its poor. It is also possible to miss things of importance.

I don't use Ispy's motion sensing, but I have tested it and it is extremely good. I just use it to display the output, because it is much better than the manufacturers app. My camera is inside, looking out the front from the top of a wide 1st floor window and a steerable PTZ. I have tested its motion sensing, looking down at my front garden, drive and the road with traffic outside. I can define the area of interest to just my (peculiar shaped on the camera) garden and drive, ignoring the road, with a settable level of motion before trigger.

I must say it worked very well indeed, sounding an alarm and recording when it detected motion in the area, with no false alarms over a few days. As said, its PTZ camera, so it was pointless to have configurable areas of interest longer term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back