Camera security

9 Jun 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me some info on security cameras. I know nothing about them, but am thinking of buying a pair for the house.

I understand you mount a camera on the wall, and i suppose it needs an electrical feed. Does the camera then link wirelessly to the computer and lay its recordings onto a piece of software, or do you buy a special recording unit?

Any recommendations appreciated. I have seen stuff on screwfix for £70 odd and could spend a bit more.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Most cctv cameras now are either 12dc or 24ac run either a shotgun cable or a cat 5 to your Dvr , if you use cat 5 you have to use cctv baluns , bot you can upgrade to Poe IP cameras at a later date, there is a new standard called TVI which you can get 1080p over standard coax or cat 5 , Google hikvision turbo range £300-400 will give you a 2tb DVR and 2 1080p cctv cameras system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local