Home security camera & recoding devices?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm just making a post for some info on what people would reccommend for my home security camera.

I'm looking for something cheap but effective, 1 camera and a hard drive or some kind of recording device that will record for 7 days incase i go on holiday. i'd only want to check the recordings if something happened at my property otherwise i'd never look at it, so the recording device can just be something that sits under my tv with my DVD player etc.

It will be mounted under the gutter on the front of my home which is 5.5m from the ground and face down my driveway which is 10m long.I'm going to also have a sensor light fitted to the front of my home that will go off when anyone enters my driveway. I'm not sure if i need a camera that runs continuously or has some sort of motion detector on.

If anyone has any info on what i'm asking for it would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
we have a 2 camera unit from Makro that can be wired to a recorder only cost about £30 only thing is it needs external lighting at night to see clearly. (been good enough for our pub)

thanks, i'll check them out. I need to find out what recording device i can use and how much they cost.

Sponsored Links
maplin

other suppliers of cctv kit are available

i would also not recomend mounting a camera that high, The field of view of most cameras will mean people will be too small from that height.

mine are only about 2m up.

maplin

other suppliers of cctv kit are available

i would also not recomend mounting a camera that high, The field of view of most cameras will mean people will be too small from that height.

mine are only about 2m up.

Would this not be to low as someone could tamper with it if its under my gutter?

In the unfortunate event of you having an 'incident', what do you propose to do with any images you might have?

Well if i'm able to use them with the police i would but it's mainly so i can see who it is for myself. I have a porch window i could fit it inside?

as i said, if they are that high people will be too small and you will only get the tops of heads.

most cameras need to be outside. if it has IR ilumination it may reflect off the window.

Well if i'm able to use them with the police i would but it's mainly so i can see who it is for myself. I have a porch window i could fit it inside?
For evidential purposes, your proposed system will likely not comply, so the BiB will probably act accordingly.

Seeing who it is for yourself can be quite disconcerting if you do indeed notice perps nosying about.

don't bother fitting camera inside porch. CCTV is also a good detererrent. Aside from the tech probs you'll encounter mounting it internally, no yob will see it so will be more inclined to 'have a go'.

Fit something external that can be seen, which emits red infra red LEDS to a recording device like a DVR with network ability at a height of about 2.8 meters aimed directly at your point of entry.Don't buy anything thats wireless and if you want night vision fit a camera like this.I have one fitted to the rear of the house in complete darkness and would thoroughly recommend it.check on the website whether to choose a 6mm lens which will give a narrower 48 degrees field of vision or a 3.6mm lens which gives roughly a 72 degrees field of view.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-1-3-CCD-...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
Don't fit a CMOS camera either.Make sure its got a CCD chip

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It looks very good and good value for money. Just a few things i don't understand, what is cmos and ccd?
Does this camera run all the time if linked to a dvr or does it record in frames only when the pir is set off? I didn't actually see anything saying it was passive. Whats the cost of a DVR?

Sorry for so many questions but i'm just trying to learn more about it.

cost of a DVR depends on the DVR and where you get it. see the link i left earlier.

dont worry about what cmos and ccd are, you only need to know ccd is much better

cameras always run 24/7 the question is when is it recorded, that is upto what you set the DVR to do, again see the link i left, and look for DVR

Cmos cameras are basically old technology which i had in a cctv system fitted 10 years ago giving poor night vision.I have now replaced then all with CCD cameras giving far superior quality especially at night.The old cmos cameras couldn't see a thing after nightfall even with outdoor lighting.The new ones don't need the lights on and the rear garden looks as if its floodlit yet its completely dark.

Try this crowd for DVR's as they supply them with hard drives and £5 delivery.Delivery was in 48 hours http://www.isec-solutions.co.uk/ProductList.aspx?CatName=CCTV Recorders&Cat=27.
I bought my cables from this lot and again flawless delivery and very fast.Took me time to find them as most of the pre made leads are black which i didn't want.They all come in grey.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-x-20M-CCTV-BNC-Power-Video-Cable-Fast-UK-Dispatch_W0QQitemZ180333260271QQihZ008QQcategoryZ48632QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262#ebayphotohosting

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back