CCTV Single Camera to iPhone? - recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just looking at some CCTV Cameras as we want just one simple model for our Garage that looks down our driveway for security.

There looks like there are lots of models to choose from now but just wanted anyone's advice before I dive in, buy and put one up.
I don't have a large budget, and one camera would suffice outside our home, So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated:

So just a couple of simple questions really,

1. do these Cameras need WI-FI to work? I'm not sure how strong the signal is over our garage to pick up our homes' WIFI?

2. And are these motion activated, and can they be linked to your iPhone? so that you get an alert whenever there is movement as well as it recording?

This would obviously need to be an outdoor camera so weather-proof.

Any help would be great, as I'm just looking at something simple to record but also look the part for our security.

Sponsored Links
Ring ones are pretty simple to install and use. They do need Wifi. They will give an alert when movement is detected but most of those that record require a subscription. About £3.50 a month I think. You get the first month free to try them out.

I had EZVIZ send me some stuff to test this week. I tend to use their doorbells.

I don’t know the length of your garage or drive so not sure how suitable this would be for you as not sure what you want to achieve.

So looking at C3N.
It ain’t bad for 2MP and relatively cheap they do a hell of a lot of cameras in that range.

It’s full colour with a white light can use POE or 12V adapator with a long extension lead and can then do Wi-Fi.

It has 2 aerials and haven’t got round to test Wi-Fi range as yet that won’t be for another few weeks.

My only issue at the minute is it’s possible to reset the camera from the outside by pressing the reset button, no idea why that was in the design for an out door camera.

That said I will be looking at chopping off the rubber on the internal side of this unit so it should be impossible to press and activate the the reset button.

Although it would appear to be part of a seal so have to be careful on this one as want the seal to retain its integrity.

As for adding it to the EZVIZ app or hik connect or hik NVR it’s all relatively easy.

Power it up and scan it in the app.

If Wi-Fi then you have to select the Wi-Fi network it reaches to and you may want to change the verification code.

I will be testing it on a family members garage as the drive is a car length with little else, but the main cameras can’t see the drive well for a a large wall the length of he drive

It should give an identifiable full colour image to DORI standard.

If was placed inside the garage not convinced the wide angle lens on this model (2.8) would do identifiable for effectively two car lengths

Last edited:
Thank you both for these updates.

I guess as the Garage is away from the house, the Wi-Fi could be an issue, so could mains AC power, so either 4G maybe better and Battery Operated?

The Garage is sort of in the driveway/garden so a few metres from the house.

I don't necessarily need Night Vision, or swivel action so a static camera is fine.
Also 720p is more than enough for the ground I need it to cover, maybe even b/w might be ok?

So I'm not sure if the above would mean that I could get a cheaper camera (outdoor) for what I need as I don't want to spend too much

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
I have no idea if 720 is enough for you as don’t know what you want the camera to do or the area you want it cover. When we specify cameras we look at the area to be covered, facilities and DORI and what the customer wants.

If you go 4g option you will need a good signal, so look for 4g battery cameras.

Don’t forget a 4g camera needs a contract so monthly fees involved which given what your looking at it will probably cost more in data.

If you AC power then the C3N comes with a plug, and a dc extension lead,

No idea if that camera is suitable for you.
You haven’t listed critical data.

1. What do you need camera to do based on DORI. I know 720 wouldn’t be enough for where I am to place the camera and what I want it to be capable of.

2. What power options you have available

3. How good coverage is for Wi-Fi or 4g

For example if your garage has ac power you have lots of options. If it doesn’t then You have to go battery operated or opt for portable power and or solar options but that’s probably outside budget.

I will have to test the speed at the garage location.

I don't have any AC power so outdoor weatherproof and battery would be fine.

I need the simplest camera really, single fixed camera, 720p? no alarms or lights, or swivel

Just so I can get a simple alert, and watch / dial in from an iPhone app

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back