Home security

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me and a neighbour are going to set up a CCTV WhatsApp group for my local area.

Get as many people in yo share footage when a crimes committed locally.

Any ideas or opinions?

Sponsored Links
On the surface it's a great idea and I'm not saying you shouldn't do it. The only thing that springs to mind is can you trust everyone in the group close to 100%? If info is shared in the group such as 'that's us away for a fortnight to the Bahamas, keep an eye on my place guys' then you're advertising the fact to x houses (and anyone else they choose to tell) that your house will likely be sitting empty. Having said that, I appreciate it's pretty obvious to neighbours when someone in the immediate area is away even if they don't tell anyone.

If it's more a case of simply sharing footage when something suspicious has occurred, bash on I'd say. I'm not sure if you need to consider those that don't want to participate i.e. ensuring as far as possible their property isn't covered by your cameras?

Last edited:
Your point about going on Holiday is a good one.

We will do a Doos & Don't in a future post.

An Ex Girlfriend of mine posted exactly that on Facebook. I text her and told her to take it off quickish

Potential data protection issues. If people start getting identified in the group. Also publicly shows cameras which are non compliant. Of course if footage isn’t shared then it’s fine. I will double check if a person has any exemption if it relates to the apprehension of a suspect as I recall some case law from memory.

Btw shops do exactly this. They share shoplifters footage with each other. But they are normally registered data processors.

As individuals you has some protection under the domestic exemptions. I’m not sure this holds if you are a group. But it might

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Potential data protection issues. If people start getting identified in the group. Also publicly shows cameras which are non compliant. Of course if footage isn’t shared then it’s fine. I will double check if a person has any exemption if it relates to the apprehension of a suspect as I recall some case law from memory.

Btw shops do exactly this. They share shoplifters footage with each other. But they are normally registered data processors.

As individuals you has some protection under the domestic exemptions. I’m not sure this holds if you are a group. But it might

Thanks Bike

We will educate ourselves as time goes.

Sounds like a full blown surveillance system.

Blup

Would be. Not everyone will have cameras but there will still be alot that do

Me and a neighbour are going to set up a CCTV WhatsApp group for my local area.

Get as many people in yo share footage when a crimes committed locally.

Any ideas or opinions?
Would it only be for those with CCTV? Could turn out to be annoying when it goes off topic as WhatsApp groups tend to do. We had a dog walking WhatsApp group that was originally only for arranging dog walking but all the women now use it as a general chat group. Sometimes Mrs Mottie has to mute her phone as it could be pinging well into the night with those having a general conversation about whats on telly/where they are going in holiday/how ill their mum is yada yada. All the blokes have left the group.

A better idea may well be a Facebook general area closed group that people can log onto and see everything that is happening - criminal activity, gifting, dog shît on the pavement, pot holes etc. Our local councillor is a member even though she doesn’t live on the estate and people can contact her through the group about local issues that she then acts on.

If info is shared in the group such as 'that's us away for a fortnight to the Bahamas, keep an eye on my place guys' then you're advertising the fact to x houses (and anyone else they choose to tell) that your house will likely be sitting empty. Having said that, I appreciate it's pretty obvious to neighbours when someone in the immediate area is away even if they don't tell anyone.

I/we trust just one neighbour, with knowledge that we will be away, those being the ones directly opposite - the only ones who would see anything on my property. My car lives in its garage, so it's never obvious we are away, from the lack of a car in the garage, that there is no one home. Lights come on and go off on timers, just as they normally would.

Would it only be for those with CCTV? Could turn out to be annoying when it goes off topic as WhatsApp groups tend to do

It hasn't happened like that mainly because alot of people don't know each other.

A few haven't got CCTV.

Nothing like feeding the fear factor :rolleyes:
You mean like feeding the fear factor of no EHIC, the requirements of a green card, the need for an international driving permit and no inclusive roaming in the EU when travelling in Europe after Brexit? Tell us how that went.

Sponsored Links
Back