Home serve - toilet cistern flushing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
used my homeserve policy to call them to fix a leaking kitchen tap and a leakingftpilet cistern.

1. Kitchen tap was replaced because he claimed that he couldn't unscrew the hot tap side ceramic valve as it was rusted. Puts in a cheap replacement and has to cut the copper pipe underneath. Finishes the job but then we realise the waste trap leaked badly. He said we would have to rebook with the booking line.

2. Toilet cistern [pic removed] - attempts to fix the leak by replacing the old style ball valve with the blue thing shown here. The main part of the syphon is my original. Leaves the toilet in a condition such that even after multiple attempts to flush it, it doesn't flush easily. It's clear it needed another 200-300ml of water to get the thing going. He blamed the old toilet (10 years old).

I called homeserve again and asked for a different engineer. Having missed several appointments, finally had a decent guy around who simply lifted the kitchen waste trap and fixed it and in the bathroom simply turned the blue cap thing and this sorted out the increased water level requirement.

My question - is homeserve really still that **it?

And from the photo, is this the new style components in a cistern

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The water level is slightly above the recommended level marked on the cistern.

The adjustment to the level is by the position of the rod above the blue float.

Part of the cause of your apparent dissatisfaction is that plumbing is not always that easy. 10 year old toilets and taps are potentially at the end of their manufactured life span.

Tony

Yes, Homeswerve really can be that **it - you'd be much better off cancelling your policy and getting a decent local independent to look after you instead

There's nothing wrong with having a toilet 10 years old, toilets will last pretty much forever - there are plenty out there still going strong at 30 years old

There should not have been any issues during the remedial work. Repair should have been put right at the first attempt. A recall indicates poor work ethics/ standard

Age of fixture not related. If syphon not flushing, diaphragm might be torn

Sponsored Links
I replaced the diaphragm about 18 months ago. The flush worked much better once I weighed down the blue float with a small plastic bag with a few coins in it so that more water entered the cistern to avoid the false starts.

What is that condom looking transparent thing for (sound dampener?) and the white T shaped plastic thing on the blue tap thing?

The flush worked much better once I weighed down the blue float with a small plastic bag with a few coins in it so that more water entered the cistern to avoid the false starts.
if you want more water in cistern just twist that blue upside down cup clockwise

What is that condom looking transparent thing for (sound dampener?) and the white T shaped plastic thing on the blue tap thing?

Water discharges from top of the valve, blue thing diverts the water flow 180 degrees
Condom is to silence the water flow

Yes, Homeswerve really can be that **it - you'd be much better off cancelling your policy and getting a decent local independent to look after you instead

There's nothing wrong with having a toilet 10 years old, toilets will last pretty much forever - there are plenty out there still going strong at 30 years old

Had a special 60p a month for the first year rate :))

It's already twisted to the max.
as DP has said you probably got a tear in the diaphragm in the syphon , you might as well get it changed because it will only get worse . then it will save you a few coins :LOL: maybe get home swerve back I'm sure they will do a stirling job:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back