Overflow sorted, now won't flush

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help. Recently had an overflowing toilet cistern, (2 days ago), the toilet was flushed and the cistern level kept rising, I tried lifting the float/valve (sorry, I don't know the correct name) but the water didn't stop gushing out of the outside overflow toilet pipe. I had to call a plumber as I know nothing about this thing. Plumber came out, within minutes the old valve was removed and a new one was fitted. As he left (with no use) the overflow was gushing again. Plumber came back the next day and changed this new part for another new part(!), seen in the left photo, blue/black. The next day mum went to flush and it won't flush. The level in the cistern seems much lower now and it looks like not enough water is getting round to flush it, perhaps? I have tried turning the plastic screw like thing which makes the water level a bit higher, but the toilet still won't flush. The toilet was flushing at the time of the initial plumber's visit, it was just overflowing, the cistern overfilling is fixed but we now have this 'new' problem that it won't flush. Does anyone know why this might be please? The original valve looked like the Conceala 2 valve unit.
2V5A9823 (2).JPG
2V5A9826 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Ok thanks, that's the green capped part..? (Excuse my poor terminology and understanding, and thanks so much for the help!). Could that have been the problem all along. i.e could it cause the cistern to keep filling?.

Last edited:
Yes green top thing is siphon. Has nowt to do with filling valve ( float valve ). Yours probably flushed when water level was really high as level would be close to the crown of the siphon ,thus not requiring much lift to cause siphon to work. Now its at correct water level the siphon issue becomes evident

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks, it flushes fine when I hold down the float valve to let the level raise a little more just over the float. So how can I get the new float valve to do it's job of letting the water go that little bit higher? It seems that's all that's needed?. So the siphon may have been incorrectly positioned in the 1st place and not to do with a split in the siphon, or is it just not compatible with the height of the new float which is causing the new water level? It seems quite solid. Just trying to understand what's the problem. Change the siphon? It looks like he has already sealed around the siphon at the bottom with the same sealant as the float valve, although I don't know why. Tia.

Last edited:
Is the screw at its limit. I.e you cant get the float / water level any higher ? How much lower than the top of the overflow pipe is the water level ,half an inch is about right. You could ask the plumber back ?

Yes, thanks, the screw is at it's limit to get the water as high as it can go. I tried that 1st. The water level is significantly lower since the new flat valve from the overflow pipe than it was. I expected it be at the black mouldy limescale line again but it's much lower, about 2inches below the top of the overflow pipe now, that doesn't seem right. Photo 2 in the start of the thread shows the ultimate height the water line was left at. The black mouldy line is the height it used to function ok at before it suddenly overfilled that day and went beyond the black line.

Are you sure the float is as high as it can go ,it looks as though its too low. The higher the float ,the higher the water level will be. Two inches below the overflow is too low , pics can be a bit misleading it doesnt appear like two inches .

Going by picture one the water level looks very low adjust float valve as "Herts" Suggests, if there is still a problem then its the diaphragm in the "Green Thingy" it would then be cheaper to remove " Green Thingy" and replace with a Flapper Valve not forgetting to replace "doughnut" washer between pan and cistern

Just turned the cross head screw, as I had done many times before, but this time I flushed the toilet in between turning it all the way up and then down again, so I could gauge exactly the result, and the level is NOW BACK TO HOW IT SHOULD BE; brilliant! It was so simple! (but not for me), and thank you ALL so very much for your suggestions! Incredibly helpful!. I've learnt a lot in just this thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back