Honda CRV 07 MKIII vibration between 50/60m speed - Any thioguht?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got Honda CRV MKIII and noticed when getting into the motorway and starting to build speed can be on the 4th 5th or 6th shift no difference the car start vibrating very bad. This is usually between 50/60m speed and then once the speed is there you can push over 60 vibration disappear again. Scratching my head around but do not understand what can be. Got new tyre fitted as they were worn out but did not fix the issue. Transmission oil was replaced 10k miles ago on both front and rear.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'd go for wheel balance every time at this stage......also a good check on the trueness of the wheel rims at the same time.
John :)

Vibrations due to imbalance have harmonics.....for example, if you find vibes at 30 mph they will disappear - but return at 60 mph.

Sponsored Links
Yes, definitely wheel balance to be checked by a competent garage before anything else.

Got car to get wheel balanced once again and did a bit of extensive test on the motorway. To get long story short car does not shake at any speed while flowing with no engine throttle. Car start shaking if trying to throttle to increase speed. To me look like something wrong on the engine. Any idea?

Any misfiring should put the engine management lamp on - does this happen? Any sign of black smoke in the rear view mirror?
How well does the car climb hills?

Any misfiring should put the engine management lamp on - does this happen? Any sign of black smoke in the rear view mirror?
How well does the car climb hills?

No lights on dashboard coming out. This is the diesel model. When accelerating or idling a bit of white smoke come out but not black.

How car climb hills makes my laugh John as we are in England and there is no bloody hill but can tell you car still has plenty of power and you can rev very easily.

Still have the OBD II from the sensor issue. worth any check for error?

By all means check for fault codes and clear them, but it doesn’t sound like there will be any more.
There shouldn’t be any visible smoke when the engine is warm - these injectors are piezo type and somewhat different to the norm, but any fault there should cause a loss in performance.
Has the car had a fuel filter change recently?
Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree altogether but I’d guess there are no buckled rims or split engine mountings.

By all means check for fault codes and clear them, but it doesn’t sound like there will be any more.
There shouldn’t be any visible smoke when the engine is warm - these injectors are piezo type and somewhat different to the norm, but any fault there should cause a loss in performance.
Has the car had a fuel filter change recently?
Maybe I’m barking up the wrong tree altogether but I’d guess there are no buckled rims or split engine mountings.

You right only smoking when cold once warm no smoke.

Fuel filter replaced last year and only had 3.5k miles. What`s strange is that passed 60/65 miles you can throttle engine and car keep going up to over the speed limit and not shaking. If loss in performance car should not make a good start from 0 to 30/40 but you can easily get wheel spin if you do that.

Will check again for engine mountings to make sure are still okay.

Hell, a real head scratcher!
Any bulges in the tyre walls, inside and out - and rim damage? Do any of the wheel rims have loads of balance weights on them?

Drive shaft, CV joints, suspension bushes could all contribute.

Gearbox?
I remember a friend who had all sorts of problems with his CRV vibrating and making knocking noises, eventually he found out there was something wrong with the gearbox.
He didn't need a new one though.
When I see him in Monday I'll ask him.

Book it in for an mot as that would rule out suspension, bearings etc as they would be failures or advisories.

Sponsored Links
Back