Honda MT-5 restoration.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had an MT-5 as my first bike and built it from the engine up at 13.

Found a basket case and thought it would be a good project for me and my lad.

He's done great so far, new fork seals and we've stripped the engine, new main bearings etc.

His face was priceless on Sunday when he got it running after spending a good couple of days grafting.

Daughter even pitched in!.

Just thought I'd lighten the mood with a happy post..

20200322_103123.jpg
20200322_104210.jpg
20200322_112548.jpg
20200325_180613.jpg
20200325_191755.jpg
20200325_192416.jpg
20200329_141848.jpg
20200329_181415.jpg

Sponsored Links
Priceless indeed - how I wish my dad had had more time for me.
What you are doing Keith is beyond words and so many young people could benefit from pursuits like this.

The Honda two stroke - well takes me back! Reed valve induction, did they have an oil pump or was it premix.....I think the gearbox oil used to like leaking into the crankcase but that may be another make.
Are you able to get parts should you need them? David Silver maybe?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Priceless indeed - how I wish my dad had had more time for me.
What you are doing Keith is beyond words and so many young people could benefit from pursuits like this.

The Honda two stroke - well takes me back! Reed valve induction, did they have an oil pump or was it premix.....I think the gearbox oil used to like leaking into the crankcase but that may be another make.
Are you able to get parts should you need them? David Silver maybe?

I've been in your situation myself John so make an effort to be better for my own two.

Yep reed valve and 2 stroke pump!. The RHS main bearing is lubricated with gearbox oil, we've put new seals in and bearings.

Grampians and Ebay for most bits, or modify later Honda parts to fit.

We are building a wiring loom from scratch so he knows what does what, got some bullet connectors with the clear sleeves to look factory fit!.

The bore isn’t plated Nikasil or anything daft, is it?
Were there rubber plugs sandwiched between the fins to stop ‘ringing’?
An excellent project.....not sure if I’d recommend youngsters to have a road bike these days, though.

Nah it's a good stout steel liner in the barrel.

I believe the blocks are to stop the fins distorting but could be wrong!.

He's got a few years before he's on the road so hopefully he'll still have his sensible head on. Have already told him he needs his eyes on stalks to avoid other peoples accidents!.

As far as I know, the cylinder head fins tend to resonate at certain frequencies ( a bit like tuning forks) which occasionally cause the fins to fracture......never mind the increased noise!

As far as I know, the cylinder head fins tend to resonate at certain frequencies ( a bit like tuning forks) which occasionally cause the fins to fracture......never mind the increased noise!

Good to know :).

Never owned a jap bike but good on him!!
Keep any bits because jap parts get expensive after a while

We've built a wiring loom from scratch over last couple of weeks and he's had his first couple of rides down the garden (to get used to using the clutch).

Roll on end of lockdown and we can test it properly!.

20200406_150554.jpg
20200406_154640.jpg
20200408_192115.jpg

What an excellent project! The only comment I would make is to solder all the electrical connecters rather than crimp. I know it is more time consuming, and requires a degree of skill, but once learnt, never forgotten! Best of luck to the young man and his dad!

Sponsored Links
Back